Odyssea CFS 14i/ CFS 1200

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Well looking good TG!

I must admit, (not wanting to be a hypocrite)I once again decided to once again order a few of these to try out.

After receiving, I got to really looking at the filter and realized my fear is correct. It's just an upside down POWERHEAD in a can, not a lot of REAL design went into this thing, but for $89 and $119.00, what can one expect. Also, the "POWERHEAD" doesnt look as large as my old Aquaclear 802 models, and they only pumped 400GPH. For my use however, I DON'T need mechanical, I just want to try creating an extremely cheap and extremely long running BIO ONLY application. I may even restrict the flow with the valves to stretch it out as far as possible.

I've replaced the valve orings(pictured) and lubed ALL OF THEM with food grade silicone grease as a precaution(including the one in the top I pulled out and lubed by hand), and will get the washers to try to keep the lid from cracking this week.

My BIGGEST DISLIKE however, are the way the power cords are run. It's SOOO frustrating dealing with them inside the top, and not being able to set the top down because it hangs off of the cords all sloppy like. This TRULY makes me want to set this thing up and forget about it for a year... OR LONGER....

Below I explain HOW I'VE decided to do that (and in the picture)

. As you can see I dumped all the sponges, and filled the 700 with all pot scrubbies I had been saving for my 2262 and FX5&6's(still waiting new in boxes unopened).

I still seem to need a few more, say 5 or 10 more scrubies before I think it's packed enough, but not TOO tightly. I will try to get those this week during my travels, and get this thing up and running by this weekend.

As I said, I'm NOT trying to catch detritus/mulm/crap, just trying to have an EXTREMELY LONG TERM BIO FILTER with very little restriction due to clogged media(EXTREMELY LOW MAINTENANCE: 1+year plus cleaning intervals) OH YEAH, mine DID NOT come with the giant sponge prefilter on the intake I've seen so much about. I actually wished it HAD, but I'll make my own prefilter as usual

That said, what the heck, I'll play around with it and see what MIGHT make me want to keep it anyway. I have an empty 40b or a dual midevil 60 tall I'm gonna put the 700 on, but I very well may either sell or send back the 1200/14i. Even thought I haven't even opened the outer box, I cant imagine dealing with that thing.

Just my opinions...

image1.JPG

Reactions: Woefulrelic

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
One other thing...

Doesn't U/V light destroy plastics prematurely? Wonder if thats why I've seen reports of the plastic that surrounds the UV cracking/breaking? Also, as best as I've understood it, wouldn't that ALSO be bad for the BB?

I think TG said he removed his, and I don't intend to use the one in mine(nor do I use the U/V's in my Aquatops), but wondered the best way to decouple the entire U/V wiring from the inside/top while still preventing water from exiting the hole removing the 1 U/V cord will leave. I'm guessing just silicone the hole???

***ON ANOTHER NOTE*** I was always taught that if you HAVE to use a U/V for clear water, then you have a MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM, YMMV..

There could be SO many possibilities wit this filter. If they just took a bit more time (and I'm sure money) to redesign a few things. It could so easily be so much more and better built. I'd easily have gone another 20-25 dollars...

Wonder why they decided to move the "pump" power cords from the original location like in the older CFS500's(as seen here:
) ? That was really a good design in my opinion, wish it was that way on all these CFS filters now......

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Had a thought today...

Since using this type of filter as a "circumference filter"would essentially make it more effective use of media volume, why NOT make it a MUCH larger Magnum 350(except more flow~700). Those of you (like me) that have had/still have magnum 220/300/350's in the past will know EXACTLY what I'm thinking, minus the carbon container(using the quartz sleeve instead of the magnums carbon container to hold the bonded pad)

That said...

Well here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to take it apart and wrap the quartz sleeve with pinky filter roll/bonded filter pad type material. Secure it with rubber bands, or whatever I have lying around. For me, I will probably only use about two "wraps" as I still want to use the scrubbers around it, but a person could theoretically "wrap" it with bonded filter pad all the way till it gets to the exit tube. Should be pretty much bypass free. Massive increase of filter effectiveness efficiency, and FULL 360 DEGREES OF MEDIA UTILIZATION.

It's what I always wished Marineland had made back in the day, a LARGER MAGNUM MECHANICAL FILTER/ with biological options! GENIOUS if I must say so myself...LOL

Also, dependent upon HOW MUCH bonded filter pad I use, I can STILL surround that newly created element/cartridge with my Potscrubbers...

Hmmm, wonder if that 14i (still unopened)would work as well in that configuration...guess I'll have to find out!

I smell a fun project weekend coming!

Last edited:

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Well after looking at the 14i, it would work on the bottom half where the quartz sleeve is, but the top will still need to be filled with potscrubers or some other media. Still a VERY workable MOD/IDEA for multi layer filtration. 360degree circumference filtration at the bottom, and anything else at the top, sponge, scrubbies, foam, whatever "floats your boat.

The best part, is that it HAS TO GO THROUGH THE QUARTZ SLEEVE WRAPPED WITH BONDED FILTER PAD WITH NO BYPASS POSSIBLE PRIOR TO RETURNING TO THE TANK!

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
And here it is.... with JUST the bonded filter pad.... As you can see, there's more than enough room to put at least 5-6 more "wraps" of bonded filter pad, but 2 was enough for my particular application at this time.

image1.JPG

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
And then with the bonded pad surrounded by 45 potscrubbers...

Also got the metal washers and the rubber/neoprene washers today at lowes to "top" it off, in an effort to prevent premature lid/pressure-point "cracking" that these filter lids are notorious for. Not shown installed in this picture

image3.JPG

Reactions: Woefulrelic

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
image1.JPG Here she is complete with rubber and metal washers..

The new SUPERCHARGED CFS700 BIO-Mechanical Canister filter.

Now I just gotta go buy a truckload of more scrubbers and do the 14i...LOL

By the way, just had another idea.... i have a 2500gph pump doing nothing...hmmmm

Hope someone finds this info useful, and even adds more great ideas!

IMG_2380.JPG

Last edited:

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Although I have got it up and *ready* to run, I have to admit, this is STILL SCARING THE CRAP OUT OF ME:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/odyssea-cfs500-disaster.397015/

I Just got called to go out of town for a week on business(can't pass up that BONUS work on a HOLIDAY WEEKEND MONEY!),so it will have to wait until I can definitely be home for a whole weekend to observe if this thing leaks or not.

My 'ol lady would soo kick my azz if what happened to me happened to the OP "Soggy", even though I'm in my basement man-cave on a concrete slab(NO SUMP PUMP HOWEVER.....)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store