Picking a species for my 75 gallon

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I thought the wolf needed around 75-78 and the pickeral was more of a cold water species that would do poorly if kept in those condition long term?

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I thought the wolf needed around 75-78 and the pickeral was more of a cold water species that would do poorly if kept in those condition long term?
Pickerel do well in warm and cold water. In the summer they spend all of their time in the shallows which reach the 80s where I'm from and even warmer in southern states.

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Pickerel do well in warm and cold water. In the summer they spend all of their time in the shallows which reach the 80s where I'm from and even warmer in southern states.
So they can live there entire lives in warm water? Just making sure they do not need a cooling period or anything.

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Okay, would you tell me more about them then? General care and your experience with them?I think I would get a red-finned one ,I believe they grow a little smaller?

I appreciate it.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Okay, would you tell me more about them then? General care and your experience with them?I think I would get a red-finned one ,I believe they grow a little smaller?

I appreciate it.
pickerel do better at warmer temps than their big cousins (pikes, muskies). They tend to be forced to the edges of lakes and marshes due to their small size and as such spend a considerable amount of the year in 75+ water. I'm on the fence about it being a year round thing but if Siddons is having success with it then I can't argue that, mine are kept in a room temp tank so cold in winter and warmer in summer, no heaters.

I'd go redfin, they can live happily in a 75 for life, my biggest grass pickerel is pushing 10-11" so for as much as he swims I'd feel bad having him in anything other than my 310 native tank.

Reactions: Siddons11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store