Economy of fish

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
Thank you all for the helpful replies.
Sounds like you need a big gravel vac? And a water change? Make a gravel vac out of 2 inch PVC and a real big hose, start a siphon, and vacuum the bottom.
I love this idea. I've been only using the bottom drain called SLO (solids lift outflow) mine is an air lift and uses bubbles to increase flow from the five and a half foot deep tank. I've been considering a couple wavemakers to get more flow as well. I also have a pool & spa vacuum , but the filter plugs up annoyingly quick.
-----------
Talk to some fish farms. Shoot kinmount fish farms an email or call, talk to Karl. Great guy willing to help and grow the aquaculture hobby. Expert in trout. Water changes are still needed and should be increased. Harvesting yearly to my knowledge is in order to maintain an economic profit. After 2 years growth is to slow and results are not much different then after one year
Thank you this is also a great idea. The people at Riverbend fish farms where bought the fingerlings are helpful when I can get ahold of them. It's a mom and pop business so they're not always around the phone.
------------
As for harvesting all at once, what is stopping you from just fishing out one fish at a time whenever you want to eat one?
I bought a short fishing pole on Monday, so yes, we'll start harvesting one a day or so until the load on the filters decreases. Come Fall we'll do a complete harvest and start fresh.
We are also wondering about other fish to try. Perch perhaps?

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
Sounds like you need a big gravel vac? And a water change? Make a gravel vac out of 2 inch PVC and a real big hose, start a siphon, and vacuum the bottom.
I love this idea. I've been only using the bottom drain called SLO (solids lift outflow) mine is an air lift and uses bubbles to increase flow from the five and a half foot deep tank. I've been considering a couple wavemakers to get more flow as well. I also have a pool & spa vacuum , but the filter plugs up annoyingly quick.
-----------
Talk to some fish farms. Shoot kinmount fish farms an email or call, talk to Karl. Great guy willing to help and grow the aquaculture hobby. Expert in trout. Water changes are still needed and should be increased. Harvesting yearly to my knowledge is in order to maintain an economic profit. After 2 years growth is to slow and results are not much different then after one year
Thank you this is also a great idea. The people at Riverbend fish farms where bought the fingerlings are helpful when I can get ahold of them. It's a mom and pop business so they're not always around the phone.
------------
As for harvesting all at once, what is stopping you from just fishing out one fish at a time whenever you want to eat one?
I bought a short fishing pole on Monday, so yes, we'll start harvesting one a day or so until the load on the filters decreases. Come Fall we'll do a complete harvest and start fresh.

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
-----------
------------

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
If you are having problems with waste on the bottom adding wave makers will definitely help move it around, as long as the water then gets dragged in to a filter that will make the water cleaner, else you will just make the water look dirty.

As for kinds of fish, it depends on how warm your pond is. If it goes up to tropical you could try some of the big monster fish, pacu, rtc, etc.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
As for kinds of fish, it depends on how warm your pond is. If it goes up to tropical you could try some of the big monster fish, pacu, rtc, etc.
Hello; My take from the thread is that thepond is being used to raise food fish for personal consumption.

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
This is the first Summer we've run the pond. The water temperature is already rising to a point the trout are not in their comfort zone. 64.5 F I could try a chiller, but they are pricey to run for 2600 gallons. I've also go reed cloth for the roof, one section is up, I better get the other two sections up as the trout are gasping for air at the surface. I rearranged the bubblers so there is now more air bubbles hitting more sections of the tank. The trout looked better when I got home from work yesterday.

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
June-2nd-2016-Reed-cloth-installed-I-left-the-area-over-media-beds-exposed-to-direct-Sun2.jpg
I've got reed-cloth installed over the greenhouse to keep it cool. I love the light and shadow the reeds make in the room.
June-2nd-2016-Reed-cloth-installed-I-left-the-area-over-media-beds-exposed-to-direct-Sun.jpg
I've got both leaking media beds repaired. It took lining the botched fiberglass job with pond liner. All four of the beds now have exclusively Hydroton expanded clay beads. June-2nd-2016-Reed-cloth-installed-Hope-strawberries-like-a-little-shade.jpg
I'm trying to keep the ambient temperatures down to under 64 degrees Fahrenheit.
June-2nd-2016-Reed-cloth-installed-Brookies-would-thank-me-if-they-could.jpg Also we're fishing out one of these monsters every couple of days to reduce the load on filtration. On average they weigh a pound @ 15 inches head to tail.

Reactions: Hoplo and cigars
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store