African Lungfish w/ head injury/HITH

butchie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
orlando
definitely not....I can see a large crevice white in color, looks like HITH or some type of scar

I can't...it's still at the LFS
Frank that sounds like an injury I bet you won't even be able to see it in a year or so. They get sort of a white mucous look around tissue damage.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Lung fish cannot be killed. Injuries always and I mean always heal. They can live in human waste. Lol OK maybe not that bad but seriously I would take a chance. My lung fish butchie (that sadly died after 30 years) came to me after his tank mate ripped off all his "legs" and his entire side. He had massive injuries and he healed amazingly well. As long as they eat they heal.
Did the legs regenerate?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
A Walk Through Water Before Reaching Land
Observatory
By RITCHIE S. KING DEC. 19, 2011
Continue reading the main storyShare This Page
Tweet
Email
More
Save
Roughly 400 million years ago, an ancient lobe-finned fish left its watery habitat to become the first four-limbed terrestrial creature. Its descendants — which are called tetrapods and include tree frogs, blue jays and human beings — typically get around by stepping, flying or jumping.

So the first tetrapods had not only to leave the water, but to learn how to push themselves off a solid surface by alternating the movement of their back legs. And they had to grow limbs with digits for balance.

Photo

The African lungfish shows primitive walking behavior in studies, redrawing the evolutionary route. Credit Yen-Chyi Liu/University of Chicago
While biologists have long thought that the digitized limbs came first, followed by the move to a terrestrial habitat, new research suggests a different sequence.

“It’s possible that walking evolved before feet or hands or digits or toes — or even being on land,” said Heather King, a biologist at the University of Chicago and a member of the research team, whose work appeared in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Ms. King and her team studied the movement patterns of an African lungfish, a modern-day lobe-finned fish that shares many features with the ancient precursors of the tetrapods: It has four nondigitized fins, lungs and no sacrum — the triangular bone that joins the hips to the spine and, in tetrapods, conveys energy from a stepping leg to the rest of the body.

The team observed a few fish taking alternating steps with their rear fins along the bottom of a test aquarium or pushing off with both rear fins at the same time in a hopping motion. Even though the fish lack a sacrum, Ms. King suspects they are able to push themselves forward because their lungs make them buoyant.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
30 years sounds like a lifetime of achievement! Has Butchie died of age as far as you could tell? How big was it by then? Can we see its photos / videos anywhere?

butchie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
orlando
Sadly i have no photos, I'll need to go through some of my old boxes and see if i can find any printed pictures. He was an African lungfish, and he was pretty big when he died. I assume it was old age as he did not seem like a baby when i got him he was probably 12 to 18 inches at the time. However, I was still depressed I figured i would have him for life. Supposedly there is s lung fish at the shedd in Chicago that was or is 90 years old. I got him when i was in high school, he lived through my high school, college, graduate school, drunken friends teasing him and getting bit, marriage, divorce, remarriage, and 3 kids lol. Pretty recent i lost him. Maybe 3 years ago. They are really unique fish. I moved him all across the country too.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Lung fish cannot be killed. Injuries always and I mean always heal. They can live in human waste. Lol OK maybe not that bad but seriously I would take a chance. My lung fish butchie (that sadly died after 30 years) came to me after his tank mate ripped off all his "legs" and his entire side. He had massive injuries and he healed amazingly well. As long as they eat they heal.
I have had 2 lungs killed by other lungs. My 18" WAL bit my 30" Dolloli in half.

Reactions: butchie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store