Good community schooling options?

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
What have you successfully used? Call it an experiment, but added seven 5.5" to 6" Apollo sharks and a red tail Chalceus as top swimmers. Thought about getting those fat 4" -4.5" Aurelius barb, but sided against it as they swim at the bottom quite often. Believe they'll rest at the bottom at night to sleep. Therefore, they'll disappear one by one for sure.

Seems to be going fine the week I've had these. Understand they can still be taken out slowly. Apollos don't lay on the bottom to rest or sleep.

What do u guys think? Will it work out? Anyone here have Success with other schoolers aside from silver dollars? Feel free to post your pic. Thanks a bunch. image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I've had both with good success and those were with upper jaw species.

The pink tail chalceus should be fine as they rarely go to the bottom of the tank.

The Apollo sharks will sometimes swim toward mid tank. As long as there isn't a place to perch and pick off the fish, it should be good.

Ur poly looks to big to sit on those leaves so that's a plus.

Would advise no live foods.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Chalceus and Apollo sharks (5"-7") as top swimmers in a poly tank. Would prefer theses silver jigs to be larger, because my faranah dabola (white one in pic) is the one that would take one out. So far so good. Probably going to add 3-5 more apollos.

[media]
[media]

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I like the Apollo sharks as upper swimmers. You dont see them often, let alone in a nice sized school. The chalceus is also an awesome fish when it get bigger. I like your choice in these upper fishes.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Not sure if any of your polys nest in the you plant Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 ?

My old lap used to do it. Gulp air and land in my plants and stalk my Apollo sharks.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I like the Apollo sharks as upper swimmers. You dont see them often, let alone in a nice sized school. The chalceus is also an awesome fish when it get bigger. I like your choice in these upper fishes.
Agreed. These characins do look cool when bigger.

filament barbs, glass eye tetras but the are smaller
Any mid level type fish under 5+6" will get taken out pretty quickly.

Not sure if any of your polys nest in the you plant Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 ?
My old lap used to do it. Gulp air and land in my plants and stalk my Apollo sharks.
Yes, my faranah dabola and weeksii do land on top of the plants. I think one may get taken out eventually. I can always get more apollos. 3 for $18 at 5-6" right now, lol. My goal is that they make it to 8-9" because they look stunning and thicker when matured.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
That's a good price for that size, for the Apollo sharks anyway. See them come in smaller all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store