Fire Eel Diet?

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Hi I a 12" Fire Eel a 3 weeks ago. The only thing i can get it to eat is Krill and shrimp. I stuff the shrimp with pellets. Ive tried; Nightcrawlers, Black worms, Blood worms, silver sides, and pellets with no luck. I prefer not to feed any live food.
Is eating krill and shrimp stuffed with pellets adequate enough as a staple diet.
Thanks

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
May need to hold feedings and try to get more of a varied diet. See if it'll get other foods.

Shrimp can have thiaminase. So should only be about 20-25% of their diet.

Stuffing. It with pellets is a good idea but gotta try something else.

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
May need to hold feedings and try to get more of a varied diet. See if it'll get other foods.

Shrimp can have thiaminase. So should only be about 20-25% of their diet.

Stuffing. It with pellets is a good idea but gotta try something else.
Thanks for the feedback. Ill keeping trying new foods.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Mine go nuts for frozen bloodworms and aren't really interested in anything else. I am slowly getting them to come around to red wigglers but they still often times skip them over. I think the best you can do is to try withholding food until they eat something else.

Do you have a feeding habit and standard time? If so, try feeding different foods with the same habit and at the same time. If you have not yet established a standard then it would be best to try to get a routine going with food they like and then try switching it out for something else.

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store