How to decide between fire eels?

F3l1ss

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
UK
Little update, I still have both eels and they're now in a 200L. Feeding well and from the hand.IMG_20160516_084825363.jpg IMG_20160516_084817664_HDR.jpg IMG_20160517_212123498.jpg

IMG_20160517_212654866.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice setup and seem comfortable in there.

Reactions: F3l1ss

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Very nice. They look to be about the same size as mine.

I tried red wigglers last week and on the first day they gobbled them up along with the bloodworms, but the second and third days I tried them they wouldn't have anything to do with them. I really want to get them on a higher protein food so I will keep trying but they seem to be healthy and growing pretty well in the frozen bloodworms.

I have been able to hand feed mine also. It's pretty cool.

Very nice to see such success from you with your fire eels. They and their tank look great!

F3l1ss

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
UK
Thanks for the nice comments! We love these two and are so pleased we seem to be doing well by them so far.

I think sometimes they're just not hungry. I feed mine frozen bloodworms, another type of frozen worm I've now forgotten, and live blackworms now and then. Looking forward to when they're bigger and getting them on to prawns.

F3l1ss

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
UK
The littler of the two is getting picked upon again :/ so now I'm back to worrying about how to find someone to take one of them on.

They sleep together and sometimes seem fine around each other. But yesterday evening the bigger one just kept going for the little one, mainly around the gills. The little one now has a few smooth white patches on one side. Would happen when I'm due to be away for the weekend.

Any advice on what to do in the meantime to moving one on?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Get a divider and separate cave.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Very sorry to hear about your luck with them. As mentioned, get a divider or set up a quick 20-30 gallon tank that you can put one of them in until you are able to find a new home for the one you want to get rid of.

Btw, where are you located?

F3l1ss

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
UK
Bath, UK. Though I'd willingly travel to give one of them a good home, but probably not as far as the US I'm afraid!

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Lol, I should have known when you were talking about your tank size in liters.

I hope you can find a good home for it. Let me know if you change your mind about bringing it over here. Lol

If all else fails, see if your LFS will take it on a trade in for store credit.

F3l1ss

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
UK
Now I'm wondering if I was overreacting about the aggression between them? Without any frame of reference it's just so difficult. There are lots of opinions online but no structured reports/science. The divider didn't arrive in time before we went away. On return they both are still alive, the skin patches I was worried about before are gone (I've read they can suffer skin complaints and go down hill quickly so I always try to get a good look at them every day), and they are no longer sleeping in the same spot but seem to spend most of their sleeping time at separate ends.

Thinking perhaps what I witnessed was them moving from juveniles to teenagers and them stropping that they need their own space now?

Oddly I'm now more concerned about the larger one, the previous aggressor, as he has a small white spot on his nose. He also isn't as forward at feeding time. He's also the one that's moved out of the original nesting spot. Perhaps he just needs time to settle. What's the best approach for the nose spot?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store