What's up with my local petco?

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Once worked partime at Petsuppliesplus and the assistant manager was very nice , she would special order fish for me from Segcrest Farm that's where the fish for the store came from. After the assistant manager was relocated so I could not special order anymore.:(
Yeah man theirs a decent one of those stores not to far from me as well they always sell their fish pretty cheap I can't remember the managers name but he's a tall black guy he's pretty chill he has offered to order me a fish once but I didn't want to order a flowerhorn not knowing how it would turn out and he couldn't get me the other fish I was looking for but again their fish in my case atleast always seem sick I did buy a clown knife from them who was alittle torn up when I got him however he died after I had him for a month or so he got into a fight with another fish and after that he just wouldn't heal he developed what looked like fin rot and died a week later I tried everything to heal him, kinda sad he was a nice fish. Luckily I still have my other CK who's doing good.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
The petco here in salt lake is horrible. They have this large feeder goldfish tank and all of the fish usually have ich and there are AT LEAST 10 dead fish on the bottom at one time. I tried to tell the employee that the fish had ich and they were sick and the guy told me that the spots were "growing spots" and that it was "normal for goldfish of that size to have growing spots".

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
The petco here in salt lake is horrible. They have this large feeder goldfish tank and all of the fish usually have ich and there are AT LEAST 10 dead fish on the bottom at one time. I tried to tell the employee that the fish had ich and they were sick and the guy told me that the spots were "growing spots" and that it was "normal for goldfish of that size to have growing spots".
I've heard so many dumb comments from fish store employees it's ridiculous to be truthful.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
I have a Petco in Oklahoma City that will special order for you. I even purchased bucktooth tetras from there once.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I have a Petco in Oklahoma City that will special order for you. I even purchased bucktooth tetras from there once.
Petco is hit and miss. They are either really good or really bad. And unfortunately the one in salt lake where i live is really bad.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have too. It especially bothers me when a fish store employee knows the correct information, but instead gives misinformation just to make a sale.

I would often pull the employee to the side if I knew they were either giving bad advice, or needed help lol.:) I don't know everything but for the bread in butter old term used for common fish that is sold have knowledge of maintaining them properly.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I would often pull the employee to the side if I knew they were either giving bad advice, or needed help lol.:) I don't know everything but for the bread in butter old term used for common fish that is sold have knowledge of maintaining them properly.
I've been tempted many times to pull people to the side in stores especially when I've been in Walmarts or chain pet store and see someone buying young oscars, parrots or kissing gourami with a 10 gallon kit. I used to tell people things like "you really need to get a bigger tank for these fish" or "that tank won't last you long" I even tried telling someone they would "kill their fish by keeping them in a tank that size" when I worked at a Walmart in highschool but they no one would listen to me or they would make comments that would just pissed me off so I've learned to just keep it to myself and let them learn the hard way I still feel bad for the fish, especially when I'd see them in claims a week later from people who returned their dead pets, but most likely if they are being sold at these stores their chances were slim in the first place it's just a loose/loose situation.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Yeah when I'm in north Austin I always go to fish gallery or aquatek if I need anything but if your ever in south Austin I usually either go to this petco or Aquadome you should check it out sometime. Also I picked up some fish at a petsmart in north Austin close to the fish gallery if that's the one your talking about they were selling decent sized silver dollars for only $1.50 so I got all 7 they had for like 10 dollars and I still have them all I have to say is that when I got them they were coated in ich luckily it went away pretty fast in my heated quarantine tank.
I go to fish gallery and/or aquatek when I want a LFS. There's a small one in Pflugerville called Niko's reef(didn't know about them until recently). I go to the petsmart just north of Palmer and IH-35. I went to aquadome a few times in the 90's and didn't go back until about 2 years ago.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I go to fish gallery and/or aquatek when I want a LFS. There's a small one in Pflugerville called Niko's reef(didn't know about them until recently). I go to the petsmart just north of Palmer and IH-35. I went to aquadome a few times in the 90's and didn't go back until about 2 years ago.
That's awesome I saw an add for those guys but I figured they were out of the way a bit so I never looked into them much are they nice? What do they carry?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store