Jaguar catfish growth rate?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Figured I'd give a little update, I enjoy this catfish a lot, he's the boss of the tank, the only one he seems to take as a territorial threat is the erythrinus sp Peru, night time comes or well lights out could be only on his tank and he comes out and swims up and down and back and forth non stop, really active at night, comes out to eat during the day, only catfish I ever heard talk, can hear it all night, I caught a video yesterday of it feeding a little and it attacked the ery when the ery went under its dw, you could hear it if you listen closely, it was talking when it grabbed the tail fin of the ery lol. I'm not sure how to upload videos though. In the picture you can see some scrapes likely from the ery but could just be from rubbing up on the dw. Probably 4-5" now got it at 3" a lot thicker as well. Beautiful fish.
IMG_0177.JPG

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Not much to update she's with the ery still, still boss over the ery. Also have a marble goby growing with her at about 8" which can't get her from the dw, but got everyone else away, which only includes the ery and a sole surviving silver dollar. I had put my 10" sun cat in there temporarily cause he was being picked on. She was the only fish who stood up to him and didn't budge from the dw despite being the smallest. I was surprised the goby even gave in, though the mass between the two weighed heavily in the sun cats favor. Ery is about 7" for anyone wondering she's about 4" still maybe a hair more, just fat.

Some pics. Bichirs and juvenile jag I no longer have. Bichirs were sold jag was fed to larger fish.
IMG_0902.JPG IMG_0903.JPG IMG_0904.JPG IMG_0905.JPG IMG_1789.JPG IMG_1161.JPG IMG_1050.JPG IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0752.JPG IMG_0753.JPG IMG_0851.JPG IMG_1942.JPG IMG_0807.JPG

Some videos I can finally share thanks to jaws.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/moes-cat-vids.689464/

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Well after the move I was forced to put my fish together. Lost the goby. Got a good bite from the curu and the gold wolf finished him off unfortunately. I saw it coming. Caused an argument because I didn't wanna get rid of any tanks or fish. But it is what it is. The wolves are ignoring the jag cat just as they do the Trachy thankfully. The jag cat was actually swimming all over the curu. Reminded me of the bichirs with the wolf. My worry was the gold wolf. Seems to have more of a predatory drive than any fish I've kept. Acts like a piranha. I introduced a 5-6" jag cichlid and he ate it chunk by chunk. But thankfully he ignores the jag. Not sure how the wolves decide what they wanna attack and what they ignore. Haven't noticed a pattern. Bichirs are always ignored. And just these two cats. Here's a screenshot from a video of the jag and some pictures of it.
IMG_2402.JPG IMG_2403.JPG IMG_2404.JPG IMG_2429.PNG

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thats amazing that they dont bother the little guy

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Thats amazing that they dont bother the little guy
I've found with my curu anway, that he completely ignores fish that show no threat, and he seems to have lost any predatory drive for some massivore. In the videos of him with the Trachy you can beat him grunt very clearly since the phone is against the glass. It's loud and clear and cool lol. And as you see he's about the dice of the curupira's head and as long as the Trachy's head is wide. I am worried the Trachy may one day go on a weird predatory spree like kolt notes and try the jag out as a meal. Hopefully if that does happen he doesn't choke.

Reactions: jaws7777

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Quick update. Quickly after being in the big tank, the jag ignored carnivore pellets for massivore. Pattern appears broken up a little more to me, seems to gained a little bit of length as well. Out and about every night and greedy as usual. A lot of change in the tank since last update. Now it's her, the Trachy, gold wolf, and two large SD. Plan to add a red tail payara hopefully next week just have to reach out now. Thinking of more characins and cats that max around a foot to add. SD was more of a test for the gold wolf before going for the payara. Haven't seen any aggression as of yet. Back to the jag, she pretty much "hides" anywhere.
IMG_3755.JPG IMG_3757.JPG IMG_3567.JPG IMG_3140.JPG IMG_3547.JPG IMG_3313.JPG IMG_3083.JPG IMG_3088.JPG IMG_2956.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store