Jardini in community pond

choconut74

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Hi everyone!

I'm new to MFK and would appreciate any and all help. I've read a lot of threads about keeping Jars alone as they are the most aggressive species of arowana. However, I've also read that keeping them in groups of 6-10 tends to subdue aggression. Can anyone confirm this? I want to ultimately add these into a pond that is already housing a 1-foot Fly River turtle and a 2-foot paroon. By the way, the arowana would be grown out in a 125 if ever. Thank you so much for your time!

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
How big is the pond? Sounds like it can work imo. With enough aros and enough space. But I don't think it'll happen with the paroon at that size already. He's gonna grow, slowly obviously, but jars don't grow that fast either. And slow down at an already edible size to that paroon.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Nope. Did you post this question under another name yesterday?
I believe so, and he said he's growing out 6 in a 75. Now that I see that, I have to say no, he shouldn't do this. A 75 isn't enough to grow one he proper size. Let alone 6 at once.

Reactions: ECW

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
I believe so, and he said he's growing out 6 in a 75. Now that I see that, I have to say no, he shouldn't do this. A 75 isn't enough to grow one he proper size. Let alone 6 at once.
Why do that??? Setup a new name to ask the same question? Does he/you expect different answers?

Even in a 125... 6 jars isn't a good idea... Yes the aggression will be spread out. They probably won't kill each other till they get bigger. They will beat on each other and have shredded fins,no barbels, missing scales, etc... They will be pretty beat up. Most of them will never look 100% and have scars, no barbels,and weird fins. Especially the weakest one. You will have to start separating the dominant ones and the weak ones (sooner than later). Some will probably die. You may be left with just one if you don't keep watch. But if you are the same person we have already gave our opinion that it isn't a good idea. Sounds like we aren't gonna change your mind. So do it. If it works for you awesome. If not oh well. We tried to tell you.

Reactions: moe214

choconut74

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Hi guys, no we're not the same people but we're planning on doing this joint project. Didn't mean to try and force my ideas. I had the 125 gal and offered to have the arowanas use it instead of the 75 gal. Also the tank would be between 800-1,000 gallons.

choconut74

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
How big is the pond? Sounds like it can work imo. With enough aros and enough space. But I don't think it'll happen with the paroon at that size already. He's gonna grow, slowly obviously, but jars don't grow that fast either. And slow down at an already edible size to that paroon.
around 900 gals sir

choconut74

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
What would you guys recommend as tank mates for the paroon and the Fly River? can one arowana work? maybe a less aggressive Asian green? Thanks so much for the advice! It's very much appreciate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store