Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
Reactions: Danh

The True Guapote

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
Just a heads up, I called and talked to the store about those fish last night. I asked if they knew of the collection point of the parents or the fillial generation of them which he replied "no, these are wild but they're collected from florida out of the canals". Not that I'm an expert by any means but I wasn't aware that Florida DNR was putting orinocensis into the wild. I always assumed the "Florida Hybrid" cichla were the common monoculus/ocellaris hybrids....not sure what to make of this info though.

lnelms2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio
Just a heads up, I called and talked to the store about those fish last night. I asked if they knew of the collection point of the parents or the fillial generation of them which he replied "no, these are wild but they're collected from florida out of the canals". Not that I'm an expert by any means but I wasn't aware that Florida DNR was putting orinocensis into the wild. I always assumed the "Florida Hybrid" cichla were the common monoculus/ocellaris hybrids....not sure what to make of this info though.
That's interesting. I've never got anything this pretty pretty from Florida so I'm not gonna complain. We'll see how he turns out

The True Guapote

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
It's a great looking fish either way-I'm anxious to see what he gets in next week-it'd be great if they were actual orinos but sounds like it could be more of these "hybrids"

Danh

Piranha
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
South East
They do look very similar.. As I said, the one in this thread doesn't look like an orino to me. It looks more like yours, which grown out is definitely not orino.

here's the thread

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/id.660166/page-2#post-7504880

this is the picture where it looks similar.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachments/imag4737-jpg.1164750/

it's colors/patterns change so fast depending on the lighting and whether it thinks i'm gonna feed it or not. so it's hard to get good shots

lnelms2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Miamisburg, Ohio
Just so we're talking about the same fish. He's solo in the top 2 pics and on the left in the bottom 2. I don't think he looks anything like OTp1144 OTp1144 . His has no bar on the tail and 4 rosettes (5 if you count the tail) which might be stripes, I can't tell if he's stressed or not. My guy has 3 rosettes, they've never appeared as stripes, and the bar on his tail.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store