Redtail/Rainbow Shark General Discussion Thread

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Ok, so I bought a pair of RTSs today so I can own all 3 species....I already have 2 ARS and a normal Rainbow, and I bought a Black Shark 2 weeks ago, and I kept thinking how cool my friend's big 6" RTS was years back so I wanted them too. I figured this could just be a "Shark-minnow" Discussion thread for all 3 species or if there are more in this genus or sub-family since I don't know a whole lot about them other than they are in the minnow family and they eat some plant matter, but are also kind of aggressive. if you got pictures of yours at home, show 'em off here, their favorite foods, how to sex, biggest you ever seen, questions, comments, concerns, HELP FOR ME, ;) all the usual stuff - ANYTHING that pertains to these little monsters.

Also, made a thread last week on Black Sharks but it never really got any hits, so I wanted to link it from here in case people didn't see it under "Other Monster Fish" :

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/black-shark.666770/

Yea, so anyone who can offer some help for me on these guys, either or both threads :D Thanx

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I'm a fan of the sharks as well.

I've had:

2 Black sharks(1 albino)- 14 inches for the Black Shark and 8 inches for the Albino.

1 Albino Rainbow Shark- 4 inches(still alive).

2-3 Red tail sharks- Never got them past 5 inches.

Unless stated they are all dead now.

Except the Albino Black Shark, the rest have shown some aggression.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I've never had them myself, but I've always admired them, not sure which of the three we get down here...

Hey Frank, how's about explaining the difference for us noobs? :p

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I've never had them myself, but I've always admired them, not sure which of the three we get down here...

Hey Frank, how's about explaining the difference for us noobs? :p
ME?
I'm a fan of the sharks as well.

I've had:

2 Black sharks(1 albino)- 14 inches for the Black Shark and 8 inches for the Albino.

1 Albino Rainbow Shark- 4 inches(still alive).

2-3 Red tail sharks- Never got them past 5 inches.

Unless stated they are all dead now.

Except the Albino Black Shark, the rest have shown some aggression.
Glad to see some people found this thread ....wasn't sure if it was gonna get replies or not, sharks don't seem that popular here despite being able to live with cichlids and other aggressives or at least sei-aggressives

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
No, some other guy on here that calls himself Frank... Yes you! You started the thread, now its time to educate people... Namely, me. :D

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
No, some other guy on here that calls himself Frank... Yes you! You started the thread, now its time to educate people... Namely, me. :D
I don't know much about themmmm I thought they were in the catfish family until recently. I gotta go visit my dog, so maybe in a bit we can learn some stuff together, but no teaching for me on this one

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I don't know much about themmmm I thought they were in the catfish family until recently. I gotta go visit my dog, so maybe in a bit we can learn some stuff together, but no teaching for me on this one
Sounds like a plan. Give Moose a scratch for me. :)

Reactions: Frank Castle

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Biggest I've seen or know of: black at 23 in, reg redtail at6 , albino red tail at 4, bala shark at 15, and leporinus(aka banded shark) at 14 inches, don't know anybody who has labeo shark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store