Plywood tank help!

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
If you use a 1.5" screw to connect 2 3/4" pieces the tip of the screw will come out the other end as it countersinks, make sure to use wood glue and clamps
OHHH you talking about when i do double layering to prevent bowing? i got it. i'll use #8 1.25 crews then. i am just afraid that #8 will split the wood.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
OHHH you talking about when i do double layering to prevent bowing? i got it. i'll use #8 1.25 crews then. i am just afraid that #8 will split the wood.
Blunt the tips of the screw first it won't split the wood as easily. Stay away from the edges... If you are really worried about splitting, you can always pre drill pilot holes...

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Blunt the tips of the screw first it won't split the wood as easily. Stay away from the edges... If you are really worried about splitting, you can always pre drill pilot holes...
Wait blunting it... Won't that do the opposite and split it?

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Wait blunting it... Won't that do the opposite and split it?
No. Pilot holes are really the way to go with screws to avoid splitting. Bunting the tips will work when in a pinch. Think if it as how sharp the screws or nails are your driving a razor sharp pointed object into wood. It will cut it and split the wood as its being driven down. However with a dull point you will actually crush the wood fibers and simply force them away from the nail or screw. Wood working trick 101

Last edited:

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Blunting*

Niners4952

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2016
With the GRK screws their is no need to drill pilot holes, it has a tapered end that doesn't split the wood. You want to drill 800 pilot holes? Didn't think so thats why you spend a little extra on the GRK screws. When do you plan on building this? Feel free to message me and I can help you with any issues or questions. I just finished a 600 gallon plywood based on Joeys video and have alot of knowledge on it, I asked a ton of questions and watched a ton of videos to learn

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
With the GRK screws their is no need to drill pilot holes, it has a tapered end that doesn't split the wood. You want to drill 800 pilot holes? Didn't think so thats why you spend a little extra on the GRK screws. When do you plan on building this? Feel free to message me and I can help you with any issues or questions. I just finished a 600 gallon plywood based on Joeys video and have alot of knowledge on it, I asked a ton of questions and watched a ton of videos to learn
I didn't see he was looking at GRK's. Yes you are right they don't split plywood as easily. I should have specified, pilot holes only close to edges to be safe if you feel the need. No need to pre drill every hole........ lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store