Looking for a bowfin

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
lol you mean like at WAL-MART? Good luck. I have yet to meet anyone in the Sporting section that knows much about fish or fishing in general.
Haha I actually wasnt aware that one could get their license from Wallmart but I'm not surprised.
I was referring to the mom and pop type bait and tackle and outdoorsy shops.They could issue pamphlets to be handed out with the licenses forms.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
lol you mean like at WAL-MART? Good luck. I have yet to meet anyone in the Sporting section that knows much about fish or fishing in general. They are so inexperienced I had PAFBC stop and ask to see my license last month and told me it needs to be signed for it to be valid, so he gave me a pen and I signed it for him. Then I said, "Well what do you expect when you get your license from WAL-MART" and he replied with a series of remarks about how they are always visiting Wal-mart and warning them about stuff and going to start handing out fines and citations for not following the PAFBC state laws. I said "Be my guest, maybe you can get them to actually pass out the FREE Rules & Regulation Handbook that is mandatory with license purchase......you know, the one that's required by law to be given to everyone?"

He just lowered his head and shook it back and forth as they went along to continue their rounds. And we wonder why we always see ***holes keeping fish out of season, undersized, over creel limits, etc etc

In my state there is no fishing license required but the state does print up reg books and they are all available at all bait/tackle stores.

People can't even pick up up their damn used fishing line. it's pathetic how people and pigs have so much in common

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
???? Wailua Boy Wailua Boy

Haha I actually wasnt aware that one could get their license from Wallmart but I'm not surprised.
I was referring to the mom and pop type bait and tackle and outdoorsy shops.They could issue pamphlets to be handed out with the licenses forms.
LMAO!!! They DO.....every year with updates. Anywhere that sells licenses is obligated by law to pass the handbook out

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
???? Wailua Boy Wailua Boy

LMAO!!! They DO.....every year with updates. Anywhere that sells licenses is obligated by law to pass the handbook out
I accidentally loaded my text in your caption but here it is:

In my state there is no fishing license required but the state does print up reg books and they are all available at all bait/tackle stores.

Reactions: Frank Castle

bjbass

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
PA
I actually ENCOURAGE keeping/breeding Bowfin in PA since so many are getting killed for no reason since people are too dumb to educate themselves on the difference between Bowfins and Snakeheads.
I agree and after reading the link that Oddball posted it appears that this is legal in PA since bowfin are only designated a Candidate species and not Endangered/Threatened. This would mean that they are legal to keep (encouraged to release) and thus would allow us to keep them in aquariums. Rock on!!

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I agree and after reading the link that Oddball posted it appears that this is legal in PA since bowfin are only designated a Candidate species and not Endangered/Threatened. This would mean that they are legal to keep (encouraged to release) and thus would allow us to keep them in aquariums. Rock on!!
IDK about releasing them, but breeding programs should be everywhere IMO, with the rise of the Snakehead, we might need them if people don't step up their ID'ing skillz. As far as I know, they are listed under the "rough" fish in the PAFBC and there is no imposed size limit and a generous creel limit (i think 25 per day) regulations on them, so for being candidate species, there doesn't seem to be much protection on them TBH. Otherwise, you can own ANY native fish, reptile or amphibian NOT listed as Threatened, Vulnerable or Endangered and of course Critically endangered as long as you possess a VALID FISHING LICENSE. For long-term owners, I would recommend the 5 year plan or Senior Resident license for older Keepers 65+

bjbass

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
PA
IDK about releasing them, but breeding programs should be everywhere IMO, with the rise of the Snakehead, we might need them if people don't step up their ID'ing skillz. As far as I know, they are listed under the "rough" fish in the PAFBC and there is no imposed size limit and a generous creel limit (i think 25 per day) regulations on them, so for being candidate species, there doesn't seem to be much protection on them TBH. Otherwise, you can own ANY native fish, reptile or amphibian NOT listed as Threatened, Vulnerable or Endangered and of course Critically endangered as long as you possess a VALID FISHING LICENSE. For long-term owners, I would recommend the 5 year plan or Senior Resident license for older Keepers 65+
Very nice. Oh sorry for releasing them I meant if you catch them, not growing them and releasing them. They are legal to keep like you said and there is not a size limit and if there is a creel limit it is probably large.

Amen to the breeding program! I would love for them to thrive so we can fish for them everywhere!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Very nice. Oh sorry for releasing them I meant if you catch them, not growing them and releasing them. They are legal to keep like you said and there is not a size limit and if there is a creel limit it is probably large.

Amen to the breeding program! I would love for them to thrive so we can fish for them everywhere!
there IS a creel limit. there's is NO size limit.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/forums/gars-bowfins.109/ B bjbass

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store