New Drift Wood

Chiapet29

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
long island, ny
I found a beautiful piece of drift wood, that I just submerged in my 20gl, Just wondering how long it will take to become completely water logged, I figured@ least two weeks & periaticly change the water to get rid of excess tanins, any advice will help

IMG_20160415_210954.jpg

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Yeah, just let it float. It'll sink eventually--takes more than 2 weeks, but it's not like 3 months or anything. a month or two?

Purigen is really good at taking the tannin color out of the water.

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Ok Thx, What's Purigen, sry but I'm new to the whole drift wood set up?
Per the manufacturers (Seachem) website:

Purigen® is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all other competing products by over 500%. Purigen® controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen’s impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity. Purigen® darkens progressively as it exhausts, and is easily renewed by treating with bleach. Purigen® is designed for both marine and freshwater use.

o5b0rn3b

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2014
Pittsburgh
You need to figure out a way to boil it. Shouldn't take more than an hour of boiling for that to sink. I'm sure you could even fill your tub with close to boiling water and let it sit in there, I've never tried this though. Boiling it will release the majority of the tannins as well. Just in case you're feeling impatient :p

vinod_uthaiah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 17, 2013
India , Bangalore
As said in the above post ...pls try to boil the water...fastest and safest way to release the tanins.
have done these more than couple of times successfully...

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I've never boiled driftwood. I stick it in, let it float, and don't worry about the stained water much. Fish tanks are like fruit trees--patience makes for less work, less mistakes, less strain.

Chiapet29

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
long island, ny
Thx, all good, I boiled it for a brief time & its been submergeted in my 20gl for the past week, I checked it earlier today & it still floats, I have plenty of patience, gotta let it get fully water lodded, hopefully in the next few weeks it will be ready

Reactions: vinod_uthaiah
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store