Good community schooling options?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I like this set up and idea. My top water fish is an odoe which also school, but probably aren't as active as the Apollo sharks.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I wanna get a swimmer for my upper tank too, but most my poly's are upper jaws, and my ornates are always active. Whats a good fish to put with them??

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Chalceus, hujeta gars, cudas, Archers, anableps, and Apollo sharks. Those would be something to look at.

Reactions: Vancouver_98683

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
But wont ornate will try to grab the apollo shark since they like to swim on top too??
Activity goes by specimen. Bichirs in general are bottom dwellers. They only stay at the surface when small in plants. My ornate never goes up, I've yet to see her go up for air even.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Activity goes by specimen. Bichirs in general are bottom dwellers. They only stay at the surface when small in plants. My ornate never goes up, I've yet to see her go up for air even.
My ornate's are kinda wierd, they swim aroud all the time, even when they are full, the only time they will stay in the bottom is when i turn off the lights cause they know its feeding time, after they eat they go back to their rotine and swim more, they always swim next to the glass.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
But wont ornate will try to grab the apollo shark since they like to swim on top too??
A lot will depend on the fish and its personality. I had a little bala shark with my weeksii, teugelsi, gold dust, palmas palmas and delhezi. All of the polys could have easily ate it but they never looked at it. But because it liked to eat off the bottom it soon disappeared (got ate, lol) when I put in the wc endli and koliba. I guess it comes down to not putting in something too expensive that you dont mind one getting ate every now and then

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If you got a place for ur bichir to sit and perch then U may see some upper zone fish missing. That's more the likely scenario.

Sometimes a fish may come swimming by a bichir and get grabbed.

Also if u don't feed live food to ur bichirs then it's less likely to happen.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
If you got a place for ur bichir to sit and perch then U may see some upper zone fish missing. That's more the likely scenario.

Sometimes a fish may come swimming by a bichir and get grabbed.

Also if u don't feed live food to ur bichirs then it's less likely to happen.
So true. You'll hear a loud pop from the poly trying to grab one, or simply have one in its mouth. Apollo sharks are pretty slender at 6 inches. If you want to attempt a upper zone fish. Pink Tail Chalceus would be a good start IMO.

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store