Uaru F. Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
It might be the ray side bugging me, but I'd be worried they are just being fussy.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I can't say with any certainty. This happens with some of my rays, where they will be fussy so I will give them the crack (whatever is more desirable than staple) and then they won't take the other food because they think they can hold out for it. I have to starve them but it usually doesn't take much doing if they ate the pellets enthusiastically before. That said my cichlid experience has been quite different where they always eat everything they can.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
How long have you had to starve them in the past? I've read rays have a very high metabolism. I wish rays were legal here. Super jelly.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Longest I've starved them was a week to try to get them onto pellets. If they decide they want tilapia instead of pellets it only takes a day or two of not eating for them to realize they want some. It helps having other rays eating the pellets, stimulates food frenzy mode ime. It's a bit different since all of your pandas aren't eating, and they are the sole inhabitants of the tank now (I think) so its hard to gauge whether it's just their sensitivity. If you've been stuffing them on blood worms it wouldn't hurt to go a day or two, but if you've been feeding them sparingly it might be safer to keep the course and see if they aren't just rebounding from some stress.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
I've not been feeding much. Just offering different foods with bloodworms every couple days. They have a green phantom pleco that does a decent job of cleaning up all of the food they reject. I'll give them another few days and try to increase their variety. I did just watch one of the lead starvers take a big healthy looking dump, so doesn't look like parasites. Making a trip to the lfs today, might pick up some garlic gaurd.

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Logging for logging reasons.

First use of muriatic acid in a water change today. Went with the %20 concentration as opposed to the %38 concentration.

Initial:
25 gallons RO water
ph6.9
tds 15
Added 10ml %20 HCL solution
ph@ 2 mins 3.7
tds 130

I'm expecting the ph to come back up over the course of the day. I'll probably let this mixture circulate for the next 8 hours or so before I decide what to do with it.

Edit: using 700gph pond pump plus large airstone for circulation and aeration.

Second edit: To be clear, I'm doing this in a plastic container with no fish. Also, for anyone who may or may not be reading this now or in the future, muriatic acid is nasty stuff. It will burn holes in your clothes, your floors, and you. I do not condone anyone doing what I am doing now without having the proper safety equipment and knowledge.

Last edited:

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
ph @ 4 hours 4.0
no signs of ph going up any further.
Going to dump this batch and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com