Geophagus cf. brasiliensis

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just saying something, I don't believe the term "tank boss" is relevant, there really isn't any peace keeper in the fish world. If there is an alpha, it means that fish has the ability to kill all others at the drop of a hat, and often times will if the opportunity arises.

FedEXguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2012
Arkansas
Just saying something, I don't believe the term "tank boss" is relevant, there really isn't any peace keeper in the fish world. If there is an alpha, it means that fish has the ability to kill all others at the drop of a hat, and often times will if the opportunity arises.
That's why I put it in quotes. I've never gone that route but I've seen many people use C. pearsei and C. bocourti and some others for that reason without them killing the tank. But I've never tried so I can only attest to what I've read.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Yes, there are tank bosses that act as peace keeper, not by choice but by accident. The big guy in my tank is annoyed by small guys fighting in front of him, and would interfere to stop the fight. If the big buy is terrorizing every fish in the tank, he is not a tank boss but a psycho and needs to be removed.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Yes, there are tank bosses that act as peace keeper, not by choice but by accident. The big guy in my tank is annoyed by small guys fighting in front of him, and would interfere to stop the fight. If the big buy is terrorizing every fish in the tank, he is not a tank boss but a psycho and needs to be removed.
lol my Red Devil kinda sits on the fence w/ that one.....she never actually HURT anything, but she does take the time to remind everyone she is top dawg and while I keep saying to myself "i need to remove this psycho" at the same time, I also believe the tank's possibly fragile hierarchy - let's call it "CHI" - depends on her and if she were to be removed from the top and another fish took over that could kill everything , who knows?

IME, planning for a tank boss is rather helpful, even if the one you ARE planning as boss doesn't necessarily take the job - a semi-aggressive boss will keep smaller hyper-aggressive fish in check to an extent in many cases

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store