40 gallon "critter cage" petco

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
So I got this tank from petco not thinking of weather or not it would hold water for my male soft shell. I know they aren't supposed to be filled to the bring from some just alittle bit of research but could this tank hold 6-7 inches of water for a turtle? I mean their made for reptiles so I figured aquatic or semi aquatic species like turtles were included in the make. Any thoughts? It's time this guy upgrades from his 20L to a 40 breeder!

TroyMIfishkeeper

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2015
Troy, Michigan USA
Not sure... I don't think they're made to hold any water at all, honestly. You'll just have to test whether or not it holds water.
If not, you could always just wait for one of Petco's famous "dollar-per-gallon" sales... So you could get a 40b that would definitely hold water for $40, if you're willing to spend that. Might be able to look on Craigslist as well.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Yeah I know I would have just gotten some if they still had the sale going on hell I probably would have replaced my parrots tank also it's looking pretty scraped up and I didn't realize this until now. I guess we will see how it goes filling it slowly. I had gotten this tank awhile back and I don't have any of the info or id just return it and get something else for my turtle.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
It's holding water well at the level I want it so I guess I'm in the clear!

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
How long do you plan to keep your "test run" going before adding the turtle? :)

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Probably the rest of the night maybe tomorrow I just cleaned the turtles tank so I'm not supper worried about breaking it down yet or carrying the new one up stairs. Lol

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Still holding water wonderfully no leakage and no bowing in the glass in any way. It looks good so far just realized I'm gonna need to run out and get a canister filter for the tank. Has anyone ever tried a sump on a turtles aquarium?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
So I got this tank from petco not thinking of weather or not it would hold water for my male soft shell. I know they aren't supposed to be filled to the bring from some just alittle bit of research but could this tank hold 6-7 inches of water for a turtle? I mean their made for reptiles so I figured aquatic or semi aquatic species like turtles were included in the make. Any thoughts? It's time this guy upgrades from his 20L to a 40 breeder!
sorry i'm late.....Yes, these can hold SOME water, I had various reptiles and amphibians in semi-aquatic "topes" for over 15 years, one of which was an juvenile American Alligator. If I were you, I would TRY to keep the amount of water under 10 gallons, but you can raise the water level by siliconing a divider a few inches tall and filling one side with gravel to displace most of the water on one side and provide a basking spot, while the normal 10 gallons water level will rise a few inches. The silicone divider will actually add support and strength and prevent flexing and bowing.

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
sorry i'm late.....Yes, these can hold SOME water, I had various reptiles and amphibians in semi-aquatic "topes" for over 15 years, one of which was an juvenile American Alligator. If I were you, I would TRY to keep the amount of water under 10 gallons, but you can raise the water level by siliconing a divider a few inches tall and filling one side with gravel to displace most of the water on one side and provide a basking spot, while the normal 10 gallons water level will rise a few inches. The silicone divider will actually add support and strength and prevent flexing and bowing.
It looks pretty good at or just under half way filled it's very sturdy with no leaks or anything along those lines so I'd say it's holding more like 20 gallons of water with no problems would you advise against this? as I add gravel/sand and any tank decore like rocks and or driftwood I plan to take water out to keep it at only half way full but I don't know how much displacement a couple rocks or driftwood peices will create, also I plan to house some feeders/wild caught fish with this guy so I'd like to give them some depth to swim in just let me know thanks.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
It looks pretty good at or just under half way filled it's very sturdy with no leaks or anything along those lines so I'd say it's holding more like 20 gallons of water with no problems would you advise against this? as I add gravel/sand and any tank decore like rocks and or driftwood I plan to take water out to keep it at only half way full but I don't know how much displacement a couple rocks or driftwood peices will create, also I plan to house some feeders/wild caught fish with this guy so I'd like to give them some depth to swim in just let me know thanks.
I wouldn't do 1/2-way......1/3 at most.....and definitely not without the divider siliconed in place . Mine were always 1/3 land, 2/3 water, and the 1/3 land that had gravel and plants displaced 10 gallons to give me about 5" of water depth. About 12 gallons should be MAX.
A tank that will flex and bow generally begins doing so when water reaches the 1/2-way mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store