Low Range Heaters: Do They Exist, and Where Can I Get One?

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Posted 1000 times for some reason.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Get a stock tank heater. They float on top and keep it above freezing, but I don't know what the setting is. They aren't adjustable.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
That all makes sense. I'm just worried about unnecessarily stressing my fish
I would take Duanes advice, he knows his sh*t. You tend to like my advice, but Duanes is the guy I go to when I need help lol....he's like the dude who teaches the dude who teaches the dude who teaches the dude who teaches the dude, and so on lolol

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I would take Duanes advice, he knows his sh*t. You tend to like my advice, but Duanes is the guy I go to when I need help lol....he's like the dude who teaches the dude who teaches the dude who teaches the dude who teaches the dude, and so on lolol
I plan to take his advice, he's a very knowledgeable man. I just get a little paranoid when "playing" with lives is all. :)

Reactions: Frank Castle

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
There are pond de-icers. They are just to keep the pond water from freezing. Goldfish do fine just as long as the water does not freeze. Koi and goldfish do fine in a pond during the winter under a sheet of ice. Just stop feeding when it gets really cold. Their metabolism slows down and they can not digest the food. Also, avoid spring & winter foods, because they contain less protein. Just stop feeding when it gets really cold.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
There are pond de-icers. They are just to keep the pond water from freezing. Goldfish do fine just as long as the water does not freeze. Koi and goldfish do fine in a pond during the winter under a sheet of ice. Just stop feeding when it gets really cold. Their metabolism slows down and they can not digest the food. Also, avoid spring & winter foods, because they contain less protein. Just stop feeding when it gets really cold.
Yeah, I've already cut their feedings by over half as the waters been cooling down, and added frozen brine shrimp because they seemed to have a tiny bit more protein in them than the pellets and I remembered a friends granddad telling me that in cold water goldfish need less food, but more protein in their food.
I've cut their feedings as I've noticed their activity level drop. They're about half as active in 10°c water as they were at 20°c. At what temperature should I stop feeding them? Should I just keep using their activity level to judge how much and when to stop feeding or is there a specific cut-off temperature for these things? :)

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
Stop feeding at 50 degrees F and only feed every 1-2 days when the temperature is 50-60 degrees F. Like i said, do not feed much. Their metabolism is extremely slow and they cannot process much protein, so do not feed high protein foods. I know i said to stay away from low protein foods, bit also stay away from high protein foods. They produce much less ammonia when you feed them regular food every 1-2 days instead of constantly feeding them low protein food. Goldfish can go weeks without eating, even when the water is warm.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Stop feeding at 50 degrees F and only feed every 1-2 days when the temperature is 50-60 degrees F. Like i said, do not feed much. Their metabolism is extremely slow and they cannot process much protein, so do not feed high protein foods. I know i said to stay away from low protein foods, bit also stay away from high protein foods. They produce much less ammonia when you feed them regular food every 1-2 days instead of constantly feeding them low protein food. Goldfish can go weeks without eating, even when the water is warm.
So, basically, just stop feeding now (10°c = aprx 50°f). Can I put a wee bit of food in once a week while its cold maybe? And start feeding normally when spring starts and their water warms up again? Or just nothing to eat over winter at all? :)

Also, regular foods, like new life pellets? Or just what they eat regularly? :)

Sorry about all my questions, and thanks heaps for all your help over the past few days as well. :)

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
So, basically, just stop feeding now (10°c = aprx 50°f). Can I put a wee bit of food in once a week while its cold maybe? And start feeding normally when spring starts and their water warms up again? Or just nothing to eat over winter at all? :)

Also, regular foods, like new life pellets? Or just what they eat regularly? :)

Sorry about all my questions, and thanks heaps for all your help over the past few days as well. :)
Don't feed over the winter. Don't be sorry for asking questions. I am here to help ;).

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Don't feed over the winter. Don't be sorry for asking questions. I am here to help ;).
Okay, so last nights meal was their last meal until late August. Got it. :)

Thank youuu! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store