High Temperature Pike?

LKJRHGTHJKL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2016
Hi everyone,
I've seen some people keeping Pike with tropical fish, such as Paroon Sharks and Tiger Fish (Vittatus), both of which are tropical fish. When I asked them what kind they were, they told me they were Northern or Silver Pike. However, upon research, I found that Pike prefer colder temperatures. Are the ones keeping Pike with tropical fish misinformed, or are there Pike capable of tolerating warmer temperatures?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Pike will tolerate warm temps, I've caught them in water up to 82°F. But they definitely prefer it cooler in the 50-65°F range.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hi everyone,
I've seen some people keeping Pike with tropical fish, such as Paroon Sharks and Tiger Fish (Vittatus), both of which are tropical fish. When I asked them what kind they were, they told me they were Northern or Silver Pike. However, upon research, I found that Pike prefer colder temperatures. Are the ones keeping Pike with tropical fish misinformed, or are there Pike capable of tolerating warmer temperatures?
They may tolerate it, but they will most likely suffer in high temps year round. I would not suggest it.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I'd select a pickerel that lives in the Southern U.S.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I will chime in here and say that red fin pickerel do quite well in warm water, where I live the water often gets to be warm to the touch but we have a great many fish, possibly a more diverse fish population than cooler areas. Another thing is that redfins do not get large, paroon sharks would feed on them at some point I am sure...

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Don't let the surface water temperatures fool ya that the pikes can tolerate 82°F. Temperatures near bottoms or in deep water are much cooler than the surface water temperatures. Once the pikes are exposed to 80°F they starts to stressed out pretty quickly and die. Pikes are DEFINITELY NOT heat tolerant even if it's short time.

Reactions: predatorkeeper87

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
Don't let the surface water temperatures fool ya that the pikes can tolerate 82°F. Temperatures near bottoms or in deep water are much cooler than the surface water temperatures. Once the pikes are exposed to 80°F they starts to stressed out pretty quickly and die. Pikes are DEFINITELY NOT heat tolerant even if it's short time.

I am no fool, the redfin pickerels occur in very shallow water that has no deep spots for the pike to escape to. tiny ponds that get warm to the touch all the way to the bottom.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I am no fool, the redfin pickerels occur in very shallow water that has no deep spots for the pike to escape to. tiny ponds that get warm to the touch all the way to the bottom.
Too bad redfin pickerel is too small to keep with the larger fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store