Bare tanks (no decor)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Dmd's mean thread got me thinking about this..

For those that dont keep much or none at all dw/rocks/caves notice different behavior from your polys ?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Dmd's mean thread got me thinking about this..

For those that dont keep much or none at all dw/rocks/caves notice different behavior from your polys ?

Glad you asked imo I think by just having substrate may be helpful as far as territorial issues.
But by no means stop aquascapeing your aquarium. My 180 is in the basement where I'm the only one tending to it, so don't care about cosmetics.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I was thinking about doing minimal decor.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Hopefully will get the other tank set up this weekend and pull the endli's favorite driftwood. Should he interesting to see if aggression decreases. Will post results... Hopefully good

Reactions: tlindsey

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Hopefully will get the other tank set up this weekend and pull the endli's favorite driftwood. Should he interesting to see if aggression decreases. Will post results... Hopefully good
Good luck

I think the bichirs are less shy when they don't have any decor
I think yiur right but with out decor or some cover are they kind of in a costant state of stress.

Owens Owens Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 from what i remember you guys dont ha e too much cover what are your thoughts ?

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I only have two plastic rock cave in my tank, but i have more than 15 bichirs, they are more active and not shy, and i dont see any aggression to them at all and none really claims to have their own territory.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Only my male lap shows any aggression and it's rarely, my polys get along fine and I have a couple pieces of driftwood, it makes my tank look like there's nothing but the odoe and silver dollars, and sometimes a sun cat and curu. It really depends on the specimens imo. This lap is the first bichir I've ever experienced any aggression from and it's really mild. Of course their environment can have an influence in their behavior, but it all leads back to the specimen and how it responds to things.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I only have two plastic rock cave in my tank, but i have more than 15 bichirs, they are more active and not shy, and i dont see any aggression to them at all and none really claims to have their own territory.
That pretty cool what size tank are you planning on keeping them in long term?

Only my male lap shows any aggression and it's rarely, my polys get along fine and I have a couple pieces of driftwood, it makes my tank look like there's nothing but the odoe and silver dollars, and sometimes a sun cat and curu. It really depends on the specimens imo. This lap is the first bichir I've ever experienced any aggression from and it's really mild. Of course their environment can have an influence in their behavior, but it all leads back to the specimen and how it responds to things.
Really like odoes. How are they in terms of feeding ? Aggressive/average ? Do they have to be kept in groups ?

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I have a 400gal waiting, my poly's are still in the 75gal for now, just waiting till my ornates and my endlis hit 9" before using my big tank, but i think imma sell that 400gal and buy a 240 gal, cause my 400gal is mostly height. Lolz

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store