Recently Converted to an all Cichlid tank

Tech Geek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2016
I was reading online that I could add up to 22 Cichlids in a 55 gal tank with no problems. The lady at the fish shop recommended at least 14 Cichlids to start with.
Example: 55 Gallon Aquariums

1 trio Protomelas
1 trio Aulonocara
1 trio Copadichromis
1 trio Labidochromis or Cynotilapia
4 Neolamprologus (larger species)
2 Eretmodus or 1 trio Haplochromis
2 Julidochromis (larger species)
1 Synodontis Catfish
1 medium sized Plecostomus

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
The lady at the shop is coo coo. Their is no minimum of fish to start out with. But there is definitely a maximum. She would sell you a 100 fish if she thought you would pay for them

butchie

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
orlando
The thought is that overstocked African cichlid tanks reduce aggression because the fish are too busy chasing each other they really don't have a chance to establish secure territories to defend. There is a point to that, however dumping that many fish into a tank of any size at once is a really bad idea from a bioload standpoint. My relatively recent setup is struggling biologically currently with 6 small cichlids and is well over 200 gallons of volume.

Reactions: Tech Geek

Tech Geek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2016
That is my thought as well. From some advice for previous post I've increased the amount of water changes and reduced feeding to once a day. The water is clearing up and my nitrates are coming down and they are not scratching themselves against decorations as much. Once I have it all completely under control I'm adding 3 more. Thank for everyone's educationed advice!

Reactions: butchie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store