Bare tanks (no decor)

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Really like odoes. How are they in terms of feeding ? Aggressive/average ? Do they have to be kept in groups ?
Ive had mine solo for over a year and she's been fine, mines has shown no aggression towards my bichirs, but she does fight with my curu and the sun cat here and there. As far as feeding, she eats off the bottom and surface, she spends most of her time at the top of the tank swimming with the silver dollars back and forth and she'll give a quick little chase here and there that is quite funny, cause she'll target one and the silver dollar will literally swim around her in a circle and she try to follow with her nose before giving up, like a dog chasing his tail. Mines used to feed aggressively when I fed live, but I stopped feeding that once she got around 8" and caught up to the wolf, since then she's a calm feeder, before she'd tag whatever hit the water right away thinking it was a feeder. Now she sits back and takes her time, and she doesn't charge it and splash like before, she goes up to it slowly and just grabs it. They don't have to be kept in groups, but other members have said they are less skittish when kept in groups, but I dont feel my girl is skittish at all. Those have also said their specimens were at the bottom of their tanks hierarchy where as mine is second in command only to the wolf. So I mean if the fish feels like it has to run from a bunch of other predators obviously it'll be skittish, mine doesn't run from anything except the siphon and sometimes the wolf lol. And she's not skittish.

Last edited:

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Owens Owens Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 from what i remember you guys dont ha e too much cover what are your thoughts ?

image.jpg

In my experience. I've tried about a hundred different scenarios. No gravel, tan sand, red gravel, driftwood small and big and lots or some, dimmed or normal lighting, etc...

- No decos amounts to less stress.
- No more stinky leftover food stuck underneath the large driftwood.
- poly freak outs somewhat disappeared in my case.
- The less aggressive they are.
- The less chance of damaging their face and body scratches from the decor.
- IMO the polys tend to eat more cuz none are stuck underneath. If they had enough. You can just pull them out rather then rotting.
- if population are high. Then you'll have more poly piles occurring.
- if lower population. You'll see the full body polys more often. Meaning head to tail. Not just the tail end behind a decor, lol

It's really about your own preference. Although having decorations provide a more eye pleasing appeal, and if dw is used- more of a natural feel. I find myself going back and forth on this. As for now I just zip tied my large plants to suction cups mounted to the back wall. Therefore, if certain ones feel like hiding. They can just hide inside or prop on top. So no decos, just a natural pebble mix. Originally wanted to mount my large driftwood pieces to be on the back wall, therefore, leaving the bottom open. This was ideal but too lazy to mount using modified coat hangers, lol. My recommendation would to mix it around in your tank. You'll notice the pros and cons of each scenario. It's really about personal preference. Attached a screenshot with this new scenario of mine.

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Not really. I don't believe bichirs are terratorial or naturally aggressive, I doubt anything like decor would affect that much, that's my opinion at least.

I like bare tanks and wouldnt even have sand if it wasn't for bichirs color being reliant on it.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Just to clarify on the less aggression statement I made. It was more of an observation due to less split tails and frayed pectoral fins afterwards. I've never had any territorial issues with a poly. So, I'm not sure taking decos out would reduce this issue. But my opinion is that it would.

View attachment 1185418

In my experience. I've tried about a hundred different scenarios. No gravel, tan sand, red gravel, driftwood small and big and lots or some, dimmed or normal lighting, etc...

- IMO the polys tend to eat more cuz none are stuck underneath. If they had enough. You can just pull them out rather then rotting.
- if lower population. You'll see the full body polys more often. Meaning head to tail. Not just the tail end behind a decor, lol

It's really about your own preference. Although having decorations provide a more eye pleasing appeal, and if dw is used- more of a natural feel. I find myself going back and forth on this. As for now I just zip tied my large plants to suction cups mounted to the back wall. Therefore, if certain ones feel like hiding. They can just hide inside or prop on top. So no decos, just a natural pebble mix. Originally wanted to mount my large driftwood pieces to be on the back wall, therefore, leaving the bottom open. This was ideal but too lazy to mount using modified coat hangers, lol. My recommendation would to mix it around in your tank. You'll notice the pros and cons of each scenario. It's really about personal preference. Attached a screenshot with this new scenario of mine.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
View attachment 1185418

See i dont have aggression issues except between the ornate and endli dabola, not worried the ornate can hold his own and no real damage besides a spkit fin here and there.

I dont have much dw. Two peices of mopani on both ends of the tank. I wanted to pull the dw out and was wondwring if it would stress the big endli since she always like to hang out under them. She seems to be the only one that really like to chill under the dw. Whatcha think ?
Ornate, sen , and del really dont look for the dw.

Not really. I don't believe bichirs are terratorial or naturally aggressive, I doubt anything like decor would affect that much, that's my opinion at least.

I like bare tanks and wouldnt even have sand if it wasn't for bichirs color being reliant on it.
Think the endli will stress out with no dw ?

Ive had mine solo for over a year and she's been fine, mines has shown no aggression towards my bichirs, but she does fight with my curu and the sun cat here and there. As far as feeding, she eats off the bottom and surface, she spends most of her time at the top of the tank swimming with the silver dollars back and forth and she'll give a quick little chase here and there that is quite funny, cause she'll target one and the silver dollar will literally swim around her in a circle and she try to follow with her nose before giving up, like a dog chasing his tail. Mines used to feed aggressively when I fed live, but I stopped feeding that once she got around 8" and caught up to the wolf, since then she's a calm feeder, before she'd tag whatever hit the water right away thinking it was a feeder. Now she sits back and takes her time, and she doesn't charge it and splash like before, she goes up to it slowly and just grabs it. They don't have to be kept in groups, but other members have said they are less skittish when kept in groups, but I dont feel my girl is skittish at all. Those have also said their specimens were at the bottom of their tanks hierarchy where as mine is second in command only to the wolf. So I mean if the fish feels like it has to run from a bunch of other predators obviously it'll be skittish, mine doesn't run from anything except the siphon and sometimes the wolf lol. And she's not skittish.
So it should be fine with the pearsei too ?

You might have just found my top portion ofnthe tank fish lol

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Odoe pike are cool. Regret not getting one when I had the only chance. Couldn't risk a 5" for $75 being dinner, lol. Now they're nowhere to be found other than online (s\h $$$)

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Think the endli will stress out with no dw ?

So it should be fine with the pearsei too ?
I think the endli will be fine.

I never kept mine with cichlids. I think it depends on your pearsei's aggression level, cause cichlids are thick, I don't think an odoe would be the winner in a fight with one. I think the odoe can definitely outrun it though. It also depends on your specimen. This is the only odoe I've ever had. I feel like mine toughened up over time, in my tanks the strong survive, the others, well hopefully I figure out where I can put them until they're moved out in time, but I also give fish time to try and settle things on their own. I say go for it. If you get one like mine I think it'll be fine, if you get a skittish one as others have reported then it might be an issue if your pearsei insists on chasing him/her.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I think the endli will be fine.

I never kept mine with cichlids. I think it depends on your pearsei's aggression level, cause cichlids are thick, I don't think an odoe would be the winner in a fight with one. I think the odoe can definitely outrun it though. It also depends on your specimen. This is the only odoe I've ever had. I feel like mine toughened up over time, in my tanks the strong survive, the others, well hopefully I figure out where I can put them until they're moved out in time, but I also give fish time to try and settle things on their own. I say go for it. If you get one like mine I think it'll be fine, if you get a skittish one as others have reported then it might be an issue if your pearsei insists on chasing him/her.
Thx moe

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Your talking about an ancient fish who lives in nasty tributaries of the Nile river in africa, I think it'll be just fine without any drift wood, haha.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Your talking about an ancient fish who lives in nasty tributaries of the Nile river in africa, I think it'll be just fine without any drift wood, haha.
Might live in a slum but i still like a roof over my head lmaoo

I get your point

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store