An experience similar to that of raising an Arowana

therue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2016
Taipei, TW
Having recently moved from the U.S. to Taiwan where it's legal to purchase an Arowana, I have thought long and hard about purchasing one, but in the end decided against the idea since I don't feel like I am ready for one just yet- not to mention the amount of money it costs as well as the space requirement for such a magnificent creature.

The experience of owning and caring for an Arowana; I believe, is something that is more unique in the aquarium world- one that is perhaps borderline in its similarity to that of pedigree show dogs or cats.

Starting from the very beginning, the quality of the fish can be night and day. In addition, how closely the fish fits the standard in size and shape also plays a major factor, as well as which lineage the fish comes from; the bloodline of its parents and grandparents, etc.

On top of that, how the fish is cared for, the nutrition that it gets is also paramount in how well it develops and how beautiful that color comes through its scales.

Now, when it comes to fish, or any pet for that matters, I'm the type to go the extra distance- I love to put in the work required to understand the breed/specie; especially when it comes to learning about their diet and coming up with new ideas to provide them with a healthy and natural diet- using Vermicomposting bin to grow my own earthworms, collecting fruit flies/maggots, growing duckweed, or using Thai Banana Leaves for Betta Fish for preventing fungal growth, treating wounds, etc ... you name it, i've done it!

====================================================================
To put it plainly, I love a challenge. I love a fish where there could be a big diffrence in quality(show vs. pet). I love a fish that have the ability to showcase your hard work (through its colorful and radiant scales or its size)

I understand that frequent water changes and good quality food can benefit all species of fish and is what everyone strives for when caring for our aquarium friends, but at the same time, some species of fish just seem more suitable as a display fish; especially those with scales that just seem to shine when it's in its peak condition.

Anyways, sorry for such a big wall of tax, but I was just wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a specie of fish that might fit what I'm looking for?

Oscar Fish, while common is actually a fish I have never had the pleasure in keeping, while some look rather lackluster in color, others are unbelievably beautiful in its coloration and brightness (are the brightness of their colors pre-disposed or a symbol of their health?)

Aside from Oscar? what are some other species I could perhaps check out? Jack Dampsey? I'm all ears!

rsanz85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2016
Montgomery County, MD
Honestly, the fact that you are so concerned is a sign that you are an educated and dedicated hobbyist. While you think you may not be ready, you appear to be a person who will hold the needs of the animal first and foremost above anything else. As long as you have the proper equipment and the ability to put in the work, I think you would make a fine caretaker for that arowana when you do eventually get it. Just be a responsible animal owner and you will do great.

That said, in regards to your question: there are many Central and South American cichlids that are majestic once fully grown that are also forgiving to a novice hobbyist. I have never kept one nor do I know about how forgiving they are to water quality issues, but true parrot cichlids are some of the most naturally beautiful fish that I've seen.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome to MFK :) I would suggest you look up a specie of fish you really like, let us know how much experience in aquarium fish keeping, size aquarium you own including equipment.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
Welcome to MFK! You sound like a responsible hobbyist. You are not buying fish that you are not sure if you can care for and you are not buying fish on impulse.

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Well written. I agree with rsanz85. Get that big tank and get that Asian arowana. You sound ready.

If you want a recommendation besides just getting an Asian arowana... I'd say look into getting a flowerhorn. They have show quality masterpieces (there is a big difference) and they will showcase your care by having intense colors, huge kok's, and some of the most awesome personalities.

Welcome to MFK.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Well fed fed goldfish are great, I wish I could afford to feed more than just pellets and bloodworm.

Flowerhorn, Oscars, Dempsey fish and so on are good.

If you dont want to jump into asian aros look into silver or jardini aros they are great, and if you are looking for a challenge get an african aro.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Honestly, the fact that you are so concerned is a sign that you are an educated and dedicated hobbyist. While you think you may not be ready, you appear to be a person who will hold the needs of the animal first and foremost above anything else. As long as you have the proper equipment and the ability to put in the work, I think you would make a fine caretaker for that arowana when you do eventually get it. Just be a responsible animal owner and you will do great.

That said, in regards to your question: there are many Central and South American cichlids that are majestic once fully grown that are also forgiving to a novice hobbyist. I have never kept one nor do I know about how forgiving they are to water quality issues, but true parrot cichlids are some of the most naturally beautiful fish that I've seen.
This

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Asian aros are a lot more hardy than most fishes out there. They can live on fairly wide PH range, survived months without food and doesn't get bullied that much by other fishes.

Hobbyists probably made more fuss out of them due to the price.

Get a mid sized one without the two main defects: drop eyes / protruding lower jaw and you are good to go. :)

And like most large and predatory fishes - they jump a lot too. Keep the tank covered.

Don't buy those hypes of white tank treatment, feeding centipedes etc.

therue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2016
Taipei, TW
Asian aros are a lot more hardy than most fishes out there. They can live on fairly wide PH range, survived months without food and doesn't get bullied that much by other fishes.

Hobbyists probably made more fuss out of them due to the price.

Get a mid sized one without the two main defects: drop eyes / protruding lower jaw and you are good to go. :)

And like most large and predatory fishes - they jump a lot too. Keep the tank covered.

Don't buy those hypes of white tank treatment, feeding centipedes etc.
Lovely wolf in your avatar :)
I looked it up in youtube; the way it feeds, it's ferocious!

Reactions: Red Aimara
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store