Armatus eating a Tiger...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I suspect the dat did suffer from the time it was caught up until the time the armatus gave up on trying to eat it due to head area being repeatedly shanked by the fangs.I'm surprised the army went after such a large prey item as mine never tried to eat fish that were a decent size.

StIcKy~RiCe

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
~ Laos ~
Picture of the year..

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
K krichardson yes unfortunately you are absolutely correct... My friend told me the Armatus repeated shifted the datnoid around in his mouth while trying to swallow. It wasn't enough time to even try to save the poor fella. Too much damage in too little time. I posted about a story previously when an Armatus accidentally killed a xback arowana when they both dashed for food. mixing Armatus especially as they get large is quite risky.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So what is the biggest Armatus you guys have heard of being kept in a "community" setting???

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Somewhere in between the two to three feet region I guess. I've seen the three feet+ ones kept in giant public aquariums with other monster fish such as arapaima.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't recall any armatus much bigger than two feet in length being kept in private community set ups.

Red Aimara

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Kept my Armatus up to 16-17 inch years back. Never managed to wean it off live food.

Good thing was, it ate good sized feeders (6-8 inches catfish) only while my aro eats superworms and frogs. The rest of my old monsters fed on smaller feeders and massivores.
As such, the Armatus never went for the same food with others when I dropped them into the tank.

Was lucky to avoid any injuries and deaths by the Armatus back then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store