Cheap but quality acrylic tanks?

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
So, I have had an interesting Sunday. After raising the temp and adding salt to my 210 AG (Aqueon, I guess now) aquarium a few days ago, it seems to have sprung a leak. I don't know if the water temp did it, addition of salt water, combo of the two or just an absolute coincidence. Since Aqueon supposedly has a lifetime warranty on their tanks, I am hoping to see if they will do something about it, but I am sure their answer will be "Tough luck". I bought the tank secondhand and it wasn't in perfect condition as it was, it is a little bit older model of their 210, but new enough to have the megaflow overflows.
I have found the area I believe to be leaking, but it is at the very bottom of one of the corners, but somehow the entire base of the aquarium is soaked from a slow drip. Not sure if I have found THE place or ONE place that it is leaking, seems to have busted many seems at one time. So I drained it and moved the fish.

With all of that being said, I am actually going ahead and looking into ordering a 96x48x24 acrylic tank to be the final tank I buy, don't want to go any larger than that. So I am looking at actually buying my first brand new tank. I have found a couple of sites that sell them but I think they are all resellers of the same tank cause they are all the same price, etc.
I will be running a sump, so I would like to have overflows and holes already drilled and ready to go when it shows up. The cheapest tank only I have found is 2899$ BEFORE overflows, for some reason they want $350 extra for 2 overflows...
Does anybody have any good sources of affordable acrylic tanks that might be a bit more customizable and not crazy expensive?

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I got my 450 (96x36x30) from Tydpoolmarine . They were the only ones that I could work out shipping with to Alaska. Except for the lids it is a tank (no pun intended) and the price was competitive. All"free shipping" offers get the big boot up here:(/

Reactions: mrrobxc and isde02

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Yeah, their prices are about 600$ less there, thanks!
I think I am going to attempt to reseal this aquarium first and see if I can get the leak to stop. I hate to rush into buying a new aquarium and rushing through setup etc.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Ive been shopping around for a tank myself and fromnwhat ive seen all are in the same ball park. Ywherenwere you quoted that price from ?

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
So, I think it was acrylictanksdirect quoted 2899$ + $300 for overflows installed. That tydpoolmarine has the same dimension tank for $2350 + $180 for overflows installed, but I am not sure if they charge for shipping or not.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I had to call John (I think that's his name) and get updated prices. I gave him three different sets of specs, he sent me quotes and then I came up with a final version and he gave me an updated quote for it. He requires half up front I believe but he was great at finding shipping to my little town. Email communication was a bit slow but calling direct was not a problem. I had to have it shipped in a very exact time frame because of my work schedule and he did it precisely when I needed it.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
So, I think it was acrylictanksdirect quoted 2899$ + $300 for overflows installed. That tydpoolmarine has the same dimension tank for $2350 + $180 for overflows installed, but I am not sure if they charge for shipping or not.
I imagine he would charge for shipping, the free shipping sites just embed the cost into the price so the$600+ from the first site is basically shipping cost and additional gross profit

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Cool. I spoke with matt at fish tanks direct and chris from midwest customs. Along with 2 or 3 other builders. These two were my favirote and more than likely going with modwest customs. Shipping is a little more than everyone else but based on other members reviews (couldnt find a bad one) and the fact the chris is a pretty cool guy answering allot of questions im comfortable spending a little more $$$

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Midwest customs is considered top notch for sure. You should be very happy with anything you get from them based upon the feedback I have seen

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Fishtanksdirect.com. I've called about 5 different shops. I ended up talking to the builder for fishtanksdirect personally. Out of all the places I've talked to, he will be doing my next one if it were to happen

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store