Bowfin

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I get on and off a lot depending on free time haha. But bowfin are usually a safe community fish, occasionally you see ones that are intolerant of others but usually they're passive.
you have to admit, the teeth are QUITE menacing on a larger specimen.....I was extremely careful when I unhooked the one I caught because those teeth were the 1st thing I saw when I pulled it out of the water. lol.....another one of those oddball fish w/ "reptilian" dental hardware

Reactions: Hasircoglu

gsemeraro8

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
New Jersey
Dude, what's up???!!! Where u been? Haven't seen you in like a million years lol

I see the post about people keeping them w/ Oscars and I know they share habitat in the wild in Florida w/ them, but when you get a good look at the dentition on a bigger one, it's a wonder ANYTHING is safe in their presence ;) They gotta have teeth in the hundreds
One I caught in upstate NY

image.jpeg

gsemeraro8

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
New Jersey
You needed a picture for that hundreds of teeth comment ...I've never seen anything like it on the end of my pole

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
You needed a picture for that hundreds of teeth comment ...I've never seen anything like it on the end of my pole
yea, it might be a little useful for owners/keepers to know what type of injury these guys COULD inflict, but I don't recall frantic snapping and aggression when caught like some other fish do, however. Still, mild-mannered or not on land when hooked - hand or tong-feeding a captive fish in the water is a different story

gsemeraro8

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
New Jersey
yea, it might be a little useful for owners/keepers to know what type of injury these guys COULD inflict, but I don't recall frantic snapping and aggression when caught like some other fish do, however. Still, mild-mannered or not on land when hooked - hand or tong-feeding a captive fish in the water is a different story
Once I pulled it out of the water it's just went limp...but it destroyed a brand new Rapala Shadwrap In The process

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store