Cheap but quality acrylic tanks?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
midwest custom aquariums. Even if it costs more. I would spare no expense on a purchase like this. You'll have it a long time, and you don't want to have ANY trouble with a tank that's real big.

And you might consider going 30 inches tall on the tank. 30 inches is the biggest that'll still fit through a standard door frame, and I'm glad mine is 30 instead of 24 inches tall. I just am.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
I'm sorry, but "cheap quality acrylic tanks" is an oxymoron. You pay for what you get. I have a 300 gallon tank built by Midwest Custom acrylics. Chris took the time to help us find the right sized wet/dry filter. He was extremely helpful. Our big tank was purchased through Fishtanksdirect and fabricated by Sun Coast Aquariums. The tank is well made. I recently spoke to the owner John who was helpful. Scott, the tank builder is also very very helpful.

Shipping is also going to cost. 10 1/2 yrs ago, shipping on our 300 gallon tank was $275.02 from MN to CA. (but the tank was only 350 pounds). Our big tank (2000 pounds) shipped from FL for $1,690 6 yrs ago.

For all of you purchasing tanks. It is very important to thoroughly inspect the tank before signing for it. The trucker will usually be in a terrible hurry to leave, but you should not accept the tank if you find any problems. Chris had instructed us to inspect the tank, but we did not do it. Several months later when we took the wrapping off the tank, we discovered a crack in the floor. We then remembered that one of the pallets the tank was sitting on was a little damaged. It is really scary how the shippers/truckers treat our precious tanks. As in most fields, "time is money", and a fork from a forklift coming up through a pallet can do a lot of damage to the tank.

Also, "life-time" warranties don't mean all that much. Each year, the coverage depreciates on what the tank company is going to pay if there is a problem. So you can't even be secure with "life-time" warranties. Some warranties are not valid if the tank is not set on a stand made by the builder. Ask questions about warranties, etc., before purchasing your tanks.

Wishing all of you considering a new tank well, and happy shopping. I wouldn't hesitate to go with either Midwest or Fishtanksdirect. FTD had better pricing on our big tank, which is why I went with them. FTD now has a salesman who has an office at Sun Coast Aquariums. He is there to help you get the tank that you want.....I wanted two external overflow boxes, and had them drill eleven holes on the top of the tank....then I changed the diameter of the holes, and they accommodated me.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Everything Mom said is true. In my experience, the stingy man pays the most. Whenever I question paying less on something, my wife always asks what my Dad would have done. I usually pay more for what my gut says is a better product. That's why I spent $300 for a National Walking Sprinkler.

Reactions: celebrist

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
I'm sorry, but "cheap quality acrylic tanks" is an oxymoron. You pay for what you get. I have a 300 gallon tank built by Midwest Custom acrylics. Chris took the time to help us find the right sized wet/dry filter. He was extremely helpful. Our big tank was purchased through Fishtanksdirect and fabricated by Sun Coast Aquariums. The tank is well made. I recently spoke to the owner John who was helpful. Scott, the tank builder is also very very helpful.

Shipping is also going to cost. 10 1/2 yrs ago, shipping on our 300 gallon tank was $275.02 from MN to CA. (but the tank was only 350 pounds). Our big tank (2000 pounds) shipped from FL for $1,690 6 yrs ago.

For all of you purchasing tanks. It is very important to thoroughly inspect the tank before signing for it. The trucker will usually be in a terrible hurry to leave, but you should not accept the tank if you find any problems. Chris had instructed us to inspect the tank, but we did not do it. Several months later when we took the wrapping off the tank, we discovered a crack in the floor. We then remembered that one of the pallets the tank was sitting on was a little damaged. It is really scary how the shippers/truckers treat our precious tanks. As in most fields, "time is money", and a fork from a forklift coming up through a pallet can do a lot of damage to the tank.

Also, "life-time" warranties don't mean all that much. Each year, the coverage depreciates on what the tank company is going to pay if there is a problem. So you can't even be secure with "life-time" warranties. Some warranties are not valid if the tank is not set on a stand made by the builder. Ask questions about warranties, etc., before purchasing your tanks.

Wishing all of you considering a new tank well, and happy shopping. I wouldn't hesitate to go with either Midwest or Fishtanksdirect. FTD had better pricing on our big tank, which is why I went with them. FTD now has a salesman who has an office at Sun Coast Aquariums. He is there to help you get the tank that you want.....I wanted two external overflow boxes, and had them drill eleven holes on the top of the tank....then I changed the diameter of the holes, and they accommodated me.
Thanks for the reply. I realized after I posted the thread that the title was a little ironic. I was coming up short on why so many different tanks were the same size, same materials but different prices. I guess had I thought it through more, I would've come to the conclusion of builder being the difference. Truthfully this was posted in a moments notice as I was trying to think of what my next steps would be, since my aquarium was leaking. It is drained for the most part and I am tackling an attempt at a reseal. A $3000 purchase isn't something I want to do quickly or in a rush and I feel like if I make this the time that I purchase the larger tank, it will be just that. A rushed, thrown together project instead of a well thought out, completed project.

midwest custom aquariums. Even if it costs more. I would spare no expense on a purchase like this. You'll have it a long time, and you don't want to have ANY trouble with a tank that's real big.

And you might consider going 30 inches tall on the tank. 30 inches is the biggest that'll still fit through a standard door frame, and I'm glad mine is 30 instead of 24 inches tall. I just am.
I currently have a 30" tall tank and I truthfully don't like it as much as my previous 24" tank. Plus, IMO the extra six inches of height isn't worth an extra $1000. The tank will house stingrays and Geos, so no real need for a taller tank anyways.
And I am definitely leaning towards waiting a little bit and planning things out a bit more. As I said above, I sat down and thought about it, this isn't something I want to go head first into. I am going to back peddle, reseal this tank and see if it behaves, hopefully I will be thinking about the larger tank this time next year instead!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store