An experience similar to that of raising an Arowana

therue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2016
Taipei, TW
Well fed fed goldfish are great, I wish I could afford to feed more than just pellets and bloodworm.

Flowerhorn, Oscars, Dempsey fish and so on are good.

If you dont want to jump into asian aros look into silver or jardini aros they are great, and if you are looking for a challenge get an african aro.
actually I've been looking into fancy goldfish a lot lately; more specifically, the Oranda goldfish.

Because of its size, it's like the embodiment of both worlds.. beauty and the beast, with its body size and elegance.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Goldfish are great, just make sure you have a spray bar or flow reducer as fancies are not the best swimmers.

I love them, here are my 17 in their temporary home whenever I come near the tank. 8 black comets, 5 yellow commons, 2 orange commons, a shebunkin and a sarasa comet.

20160531_153259.jpg

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Goldfish are great, just make sure you have a spray bar or flow reducer as fancies are not the best swimmers.

I love them, here are my 17 in their temporary home whenever I come near the tank. 8 black comets, 5 yellow commons, 2 orange commons, a shebunkin and a sarasa comet.

View attachment 1185887
I'd love to have an outside pond or raised system for goldfish in the future, they need much bigger tanks than we give credit for; I've been ignorant of this in the past

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'd love to have an outside pond or raised system for goldfish in the future, they need much bigger tanks than we give credit for; I've been ignorant of this in the past
Their in a 70 gal now, then im moving 10 into a 50gal container for my aquaponics, then a 280 then into a pond or 800+ container, I love them to bits.

I want to show people how big goldies truly get

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
What species you chose really depends on how much space and equipment you have at your disposal. Show quality fish come in all shapes and sizes from giant Asian arowana down to high end guppies and shrimp. Depending on your available space I would look in to flowerhorn, rams, peacock bass, and...... wait for it..... don't hear this one mentioned much...... the red Bay snook.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I'm guna agree with the goldfish people. If you have a decent size setup the fancy varieties can be beautiful and rewarding... Plus, we need more monster goldfish setups on here. :D

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I assume given your post you are primary focused on FW? I know we primary talk FW, but what about reef tank? That can be a challenge with SPS and fish, but provide rewarding results too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store