Bad... terrible news.. lost p14 mom and pup

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Well over the weekend, i had my pregnant female p14 divided from the rest of the rays, because i knew she had to be getting close.
Saturday evening she stopped eating so expected pups that night. woke up Sunday to no pups, but still with a ray that wouldn't eat and was breathing a little heavy.
Late Sunday evening i watched her slowly pass away :(
immediately when i saw her make her last breath i acted quickly and pulled her out to try to c-section to possibly save any pups... found one fully developed pup inside that had started to decompose and was missing most of its guts.. the pup for some reason had died and poisoned the mother killing them both..

attached are the pictures of bot the mother and the pup... pictures are pretty heart breaking so view at your own risk.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
pictures are a little disturbing... such a huge loss!

The pup was 4.75" and was a female :(
Mom was 13.5" and was 5 years old next month!

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here
Sorry for the loss man.. As I was reading the part of you trying the c-section, I really was hoping for the best. Damn that ray was truly a beast.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Wow......

Kinda lost for words. Very sorry for you Mike. Makes me upset to see this hobby treat people the way it does, seems sometimes all the luck goes to those who don't really need it. Was really hoping these guys were going to bring you (and hopefully people like me) pups to raise enjoy and watch grow....

Your issue here brings lots of questions up in regards to pregnancies gone wrong....... I'm guessing I've lost more then a few females in very similar situations..... Movement like crazy one day, then all of a sudden gone, then the mom passes.......

Again very sorry for your loss man..... :(

Reactions: davenmandy

Jimr

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2007
Lyme Ct.
That really sucks man. That same thing happened to one of my best BD mothers. Wish I knew what I could have done. Sorry to hear.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Wow. Thank you for posting this, as hard as I'm sure it was. My heart goes out to you man. Hopefully this means you are due for some good luck soon. Great thinking with the c section, that's crazy how quickly this happened and you were able to see it unfold in such a short time.

Bigboy233

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
London
Im sorry mate...its really horrible when you lose one......hang in there mate it will be better again...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store