Small arowana dying

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
I purchased 4 small (2.5 inch) black arowana last week and am having a tough time keeping them alive. The first one ended up missing it's tail and just sat on the bottom of the tank til it eventually laid sideways and died. Every now and then it would swim around and sometimes spinning in the water. Now 2 days later I've got another just hanging on the bottom and not eating. This one does not look beat up. Just swims around kinda wobbly every now and then. The other 2 and the silver of the same size with them are looking good and eating bloodworms. Tank had a small amount of ammonia present. The lightest shade of green possible. Ph is about 6.4. Temp is 84. Good aeration. No nitrites. I did a large water change tonight and put the sick one in a floating breeding box in case there was any aggression toward the weak one. Any ideas or tips? Already down one. Don't want to lose any more. The first one was clearly attacked at some point but I don't see any damage on the second one.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Arowana's are very fragile imo at that size, the biggest hurdle is getting them to eat so they will gain size and strength. Also would suggest monitoring your water parameters until you get a reading of zero ammonia. I always fed floating foods such as freeze dried mysis shrimp, bloodworms, and small pellets.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Do you have any water conditioner such as Prime , I suggest adding to aquarium every time wc is done.

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
Thanks. Ammonia was at zero after the water change. I have 2 eating and the silver. The other one is laying on its side on the bottom now. Looks like another one gone. Really discouraging considering how much they cost. I'm checking parameters every day.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Small tank. Small water changes live brine shrimp live blackworms. Frozen bloodworms temp too hot my opinion good aeration and a floating plant to give some shelter.

Reactions: Charney

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
Got another one going down this morning. Looked good last night. They all ate bloodworms. Today it's having a hard time staying upright. Hoping the last one survives.

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
When you say there was a missing tail it is Time to separate them .
Even when you dont see some damage it could also be stress.

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
It is good that they are eating.
Im down to the one black arowana right now. seems that the previous reply was the most helpful one.

When you say there was a missing tail it is Time to separate them .
Even when you dont see some damage it could also be stress.
I carefully watched the last 2 awowanas when I put a bloodworm block in the tank and notice the last black one would not eat anything if the silver was nearby. after I divided the tank they both started eating great. Unfortunately there was an ammonia spike for some reason (this tank has been setup and had fish in it of some type or another for at least 6 weeks) and the silver did not make it. The black one is still eating and doing well after several water changes. I should have a new housing solution completed tomorrow until the new setup is done cycling. Very expensive lesson in caring for these fish at this small size. Reminds me of my attempts at peacock bass a few years ago. Could not keep them alive when they were small. This site has been incredibly helpful and I thank everyone for their input.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store