Pseudoplatystoma orinocoense pics. Rare TSN?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
lookin good o.p.! theyve def put on some girth for ya, nice work... lookin more like p. reticulatum aswell. Mine hovered around 20" for a cple yrs then shot up to 36" when placed in a proper pond. Id say you still have a few yrs for that tho.

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
lookin good o.p.! theyve def put on some girth for ya, nice work... lookin more like p. reticulatum aswell. Mine hovered around 20" for a cple yrs then shot up to 36" when placed in a proper pond. Id say you still have a few yrs for that tho.
image.jpeg
This is another shot of the smaller one again. Waiting for the big one to come out front. Lol.

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
Trying out the go pro. Hope to add some better videos of these fish but this is my first try. Getting big. Still got one about 2 inches bigger than the other even though they were the same size when I got them. This is the small one.

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
So we got to measure the two fish today when they were against the glass. The bigger one is 14.5 inches long and the smaller one is 11 inshes long. The bigger of the two is the one noted as missing a fin earlier. It eats mostly massivore pellets. The smaller one eats tilapia still and wont touch a pellet unless I stuff it into a chunk of fish. They have each gotten live food once. The smaller one ate my first arowana. The bigger one ate my smallest peacock bass. Im a bit more careful about tankmates now. I wanted a pleco for a while so my gf bought me a massive l600 to go in the tank and removed the much smaller vampire pleco before it became a snack. Hes boss now and no way will he fit into their mouths. pics in the next post.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
Im not sure if its just me but the smaller of the 2 cats seems to have a short stocky body when compared to other shovelnose ive seen.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice update. Thank you.

I've been raising two TSN (fasciatum from the looks of it) from 3". They are about 2-3 years now and one is 2'+, the other is under 2'. The bigger loves pellets and takes fish occasionally. The smaller refuses any and all pelleted foods and only takes fish. This is somewhat similar to what you are reporting.

They fought rather badly until ~15" size. Then stopped. I think one was merely enforcing its dominance over the other, esp. during feeding. But who over who, IDK. It was occurring in a pond. Been in a 4500 gal tank for a year+ and I've not seen any fighting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store