Green Terror Hybrid???

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
I purchased this fish from a LFS a few months ago as a "Green Terror" fish at the time was about 2.5", and looked exactly the same as it does now at around 4". It has not developed the side markings of a regular GT and its overall shape is a little "off" from a pure A. rivulatus. I am kind of leaning toward it is a rivulatus hybrid of some sort. What are your thoughts, has anyone seen a fish like this one?

Reactions: axs377

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
Yeah I didn't think much about it at 2.5" and figured it was probably just an odd phase it was going through and would improve with a good diet and good water. It however has just remained the same. I had kind of figured it was a female riv hybrid of some sort based on looks. Sucks to know you guys think it has just been stunted and is deformed. I know if this is the case it will never have a normal lifespan or look...but I guess Im glad it is atleast in decent conditions now.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Looks more deformed than anything else.
Stunted female rivulatus
Deformed fish , poor thing has a frontal like a frog
Precisely, Gentlemen....I bred a pair of GTs a number of years ago from the same source, thinking 1 generation of inbreeding would be fine and boy was I wrong. IDK how many generations they were inbred, but there were a number of fry that began showing this exact same mouth deformity after a few months. That's Petsmart for ya. Similar defects in Managuensis in addition to very deformed pectoral fins occur as well....almost appearing upturned and crescent-shaped

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I call it the blood parrot mouth. I've seen a few different fish with the same deformity.

Reactions: Frank Castle

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
Further proof why buying LFS fish is a bad idea in most cases, wish I would have waited and went with another Rapps order.

Reactions: Frank Castle

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I think it gives the fish character.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store