Reseal HELP!!!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
So do a line, wait for five hours and doing another line is acceptable? The tank is in the shade of the house, so it probably won't get outrageously hot. But I've already seen that rushing it makes for bad crazing... I'm pretty pissed the worst was in the front viewing panel bottom edge.
Sounds like a good plan, better to look at a bit of crazing and know ur tank is solid than worry of wet floors one day.

Reactions: Cloudk

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Swimming in a mountain river
1 a day is fine...i agree it is a long process... ive done as many as 1 every cple hrs no prob also... only prob with doing it that quick in high temps is crazing during the cure... the tanks i knocked out the fastest always crazed more due to the heat of the glue alone... u could prob sneak in 2 a day and be more tha fine.
Would simply NOT doing the short sides be a bad idea? The seals themselves actually look fine, I was just doing it for peace of mind. I was mostly concerned with the long sides bursting out from catastrophic failure.

Last edited:

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Would simply NOT doing the short sides be a bad idea? The seals themselves actually look fine, I was just doing it for peace of mind. I was mostly concerned with the long sides bursting out from catastrophic failure.
all up 2 u man... id say if u took the time to do the long sides...may as well finish it all off and forget about it. would be worse to tear it all back apart to do again down the road. generally if im doing one seam on a tank i do them all bottoms/sides/uprights and even the top underside. i have one tank i failed to do the top underside on and its an eyesore to me now lol...wish i would have not been lazy and finished the job. If ur seams are intact and lookin good cut down the thickness of the beads your pouring to 1/4"-3/8" or just leave em. From the pics uve posted they seem pretty decent. more glue can never hurt tho.

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
all up 2 u man... id say if u took the time to do the long sides...may as well finish it all off and forget about it. would be worse to tear it all back apart to do again down the road. generally if im doing one seam on a tank i do them all bottoms/sides/uprights and even the top underside. i have one tank i failed to do the top underside on and its an eyesore to me now lol...wish i would have not been lazy and finished the job. If ur seams are intact and lookin good cut down the thickness of the beads your pouring to 1/4"-3/8" or just leave em. From the pics uve posted they seem pretty decent. more glue can never hurt tho.
Could I use IPS 16 on short edges instead of the 40? That way I wouldn't have to risk a toppling catastrophe in the first place and could theoretically do two sides at a time. In writing all of this I'm realizing that it was very stupid of me to have my first serious reseal be a 375...

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Could I use IPS 16 on short edges instead of the 40? That way I wouldn't have to risk a toppling catastrophe in the first place. In writing all of this I'm realizing that it was very stupid of me to have my first serious reseal be a 375...
no way that tank will just fall over leaned against a wall... u could always ratchet strap it to the wall or another object if ur that worried. not farmiliar with ips 16...if its anything like weld-on #16 i wouldnt waste my time. #16 is for arts and crafts imo lol...its weaker than #3 or #4 solvent. #16 is actually just #4 with peices of acrylic dissolved into it to make it thicker making it brittle when it dries. Keep up with the #40 and what ur already doin. a 375 is just as good/easy to learn on as a 20 gal or any tank imo also. is the stand of the tank around?? u could put it up on end of the stand to hold it up while u pour ur #40. saw horses will work aswell. Doesnt have to be exactly 45° if u feel thats unsafe. Dont get overwhelmed or worried, if u already poured 2 seams ur in the home stretch of finishin her out. patience is a virtue in this hobby. tanks dont go up easy or overnight. if u rush them itell always come back to haunt ya.

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
no way that tank will just fall over leaned against a wall... u could always ratchet strap it to the wall or another object if ur that worried. not farmiliar with ips 16...if its anything like weld-on #16 i wouldnt waste my time. #16 is for arts and crafts imo lol...its weaker than #3 or #4 solvent. #16 is actually just #4 with peices of acrylic dissolved into it to make it thicker making it brittle when it dries. Keep up with the #40 and what ur already doin. a 375 is just as good/easy to learn on as a 20 gal or any tank imo also. is the stand of the tank around?? u could put it up on end of the stand to hold it up while u pour ur #40. saw horses will work aswell. Doesnt have to be exactly 45° if u feel thats unsafe. Dont get overwhelmed or worried, if u already poured 2 seams ur in the home stretch of finishin her out. patience is a virtue in this hobby. tanks dont go up easy or overnight. if u rush them itell always come back to haunt ya.
I've done all four long seams Didn't know I didn't HAVE to do all sides. I'll just do the 40 on the short sides. You've brought multiple things to my attention, mainly that there's no reason to half-ass it now. Been waiting this long, what's another week. Thank you SO much for answering my noob questions, I'm sure I'll have more soon enough!

Reactions: wednesday13

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
After some planning, I think I'm going to put the tank between the two pieces of the tank stand. Then lay a noodle or something on the ground for the edge to rest on. One side of stand against corner of the house and other against the partially buried railroad ties in my yard. No WAY it can fall over, and somewhat easy to rotate ;)

carbene

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2013
SF BA
it seems like i misread your problem. it thought the crack on the top sheet was a bad fix and you wanted advice on a better fix lol. while resealing my 500g, i found that blowing a fan inside the tank will cause crazing to not form. too bad the front panel wasnt so lucky D:

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
it seems like i misread your problem. it thought the crack on the top sheet was a bad fix and you wanted advice on a better fix lol. while resealing my 500g, i found that blowing a fan inside the tank will cause crazing to not form. too bad the front panel wasnt so lucky D:
Hm... I'll try that. The short edges will stand out the most, so if I can try to limit it for those, it would definitely be best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store