Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Nice catches. What do you do with them? We work hard on the East coast to restore and enhance river herring/shad populations, but the shad are a nuisance over your way:). We gave you striped bass too (at least in CA)!
Some folks smoke shad and eat them. Others fancy the roe. I don't really eat fish, so release everything.
Your set up sounds similar to what I use. Usually use a shad spoon in bright colors (green, pink, red, etc) 3-4' behind a 3/8-1/2oz sinker of some sort. Sometimes other small spoons work well, as do shad darts. It seems one day a certain color or lure is the hot ticket and the next day is something different. Cast across the current or downstream and fish them in the water column. There are some fly fishing guys that have it dialed in to. Some days they do better than hardware, some days not as good.

I also like to use a small jig head with a twisty tail grub. I went shad fishing last Friday and started with the spoon setup. Only caught a few and then switched to the small jig with a 1" chartreuse twister tail and hammered them. I guess I anchored in the right spot because I could fish the jig just to the side of my boat and watch them come up and hit it. Lots of fun.
Sounds like a similar approach. Some of these shad were smoked and canned to be consumed. The rest are going to be used as bait for dungeness crab, sturgeon, and halibut.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
That's a nice Brown! I was fishing my creek this evening and had, literally, a 29-30" Brownie come up and nose a Muddler Minnow I was stripping, turned away at the last minute. I know where I'll be for the next week!

I love it when Sunnies get bulky like that with the jump ln their head, sometimes they'll even take drag!
Pics of brown!!!
I was pissed off at my buddy for slamming not one but TWO of my favorite rods in the door because his self-awareness is piss-poor for a 54 year old man, so I didn't even take pics, I just gutted it and froze it, but I'm gonna defrost it and cook it this week. I plan on taking a pic beforehand (even though the girth is lost), the flesh of this fish is a deep pinkish-red, unlike the white flesh of normal stocked trout, so im gonna do a comparison by pix on the meat as well

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Some pics from the last few days. Erie was good Saturday, producing one Laker and two Walleye, in addition to seven white bass, but I'm still trying to find summer Steel. However, I really can't complain since catching Lakers this time of year is great! Been on my local creek the last two days after finding a small stretch relatively full of trout for this time of year, especially with low, clear, 76-81°F water. Managed one nice 15" bow yesterday stripping a wooly bugger, played quickly and never removed from water, held in my hand until it swam away.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Sounds like a similar approach. Some of these shad were smoked and canned to be consumed. The rest are going to be used as bait for dungeness crab, sturgeon, and halibut.
Nice. Wish we could fish for surgeons here.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Found in warmer marine waters than what we have in Maine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store