Question??? Please read and help if you have any answers thank you

kelz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2013
Brooklyn
Hey guys I have a question if I have a tank running with lots of bio media I mean a lot because i house 10 rays. Would I have to cycle my new tank even if I move all the old media into the new tank ? And I'm still going to use 2 of the old canister filter fx6 that is on the old tank. Please help thanx !!!!!!

I would love to hear your advice.
Because need to move the fish this Sunday lol

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
If you are essentially moving the biological matter that successfully handled 10 rays over to the tank those rays are moving into at the same time I would consider it to be pretty much cycled. You might want to feed light and watch your parameters for a while just in case you somehow shocked the bacteria colony. Extra water changes wouldn't hurt just in case.

If those filters were just a part of the filtration for the ten rays, consider yourself well on the way to being cycled and take appropriate precautions in regards to feeding, testing and extra water changes.

If you didn't move the active filters over you'd really need to cycle the tank.

Last edited:

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; You have the simplest of issues. The media from the established tank should have colonies of beneficial bacteria (bb). Moving some of this media into the new setup will have bb ready to consume ammonia. You should be good to go with respect to the bb and the cycle.

My approach generally is to set up a new tank with the gravel and other stuff I plan to use and fill it with water. I usually let the new tank run for a day with some filtration running and the heaters operational to test the setup for any mechanical problems and get the temperature stable.

once all the equipment and things check out, I usually add one fish and some of the bb loaded material from an established tank. By the way the bb are on the surfaces of many things as well as the filter media. I do this just in case there is some unnoticed issue with the new tank. After from a few hours to a day or so I will move the other fish into the new tank.

I also acclimate the fish going into a new tank pretty much the same way as when bringing fish home from a fish shop. The water in the new setup may be different enough, temp and other parameters, to give a bit of a shock if fish are just dumped in. I have netted fish and dumped them into a new setup usually with no real issues, but from time to time......

Good luck

kelz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2013
Brooklyn
Hello; You have the simplest of issues. The media from the established tank should have colonies of beneficial bacteria (bb). Moving some of this media into the new setup will have bb ready to consume ammonia. You should be good to go with respect to the bb and the cycle.

My approach generally is to set up a new tank with the gravel and other stuff I plan to use and fill it with water. I usually let the new tank run for a day with some filtration running and the heaters operational to test the setup for any mechanical problems and get the temperature stable.

once all the equipment and things check out, I usually add one fish and some of the bb loaded material from an established tank. By the way the bb are on the surfaces of many things as well as the filter media. I do this just in case there is some unnoticed issue with the new tank. After from a few hours to a day or so I will move the other fish into the new tank.

I also acclimate the fish going into a new tank pretty much the same way as when bringing fish home from a fish shop. The water in the new setup may be different enough, temp and other parameters, to give a bit of a shock if fish are just dumped in. I have netted fish and dumped them into a new setup usually with no real issues, but from time to time......

Good luck
Great advice thanx so much

Come on guys I wanna hear more advice

Thanx everyone

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
is no more advice, moving the filters with the fish to the new tank should handle the bio load fine. if running new sub-straight and decor your filters may run a little behind for a few days so feeding less is a good ideal while they catch up to the small but added load.

kelz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2013
Brooklyn
is no more advice, moving the filters with the fish to the new tank should handle the bio load fine. if running new sub-straight and decor your filters may run a little behind for a few days so feeding less is a good ideal while they catch up to the small but added load.
Awesome

Thanx again guys

Hope to update the rest of the tank soon

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
Every new tank I start I move bio media to the new filter. If I add 25% volume of the new media old media I generally give the tank a week before throwing fishing in. If I do 50% media I generally throw a fish or 2 on right away. Have moved 100% of media to new tanks before and move full bio load and been fine

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Every new tank I start I move bio media to the new filter. If I add 25% volume of the new media old media I generally give the tank a week before throwing fishing in. If I do 50% media I generally throw a fish or 2 on right away. Have moved 100% of media to new tanks before and move full bio load and been fine
Hello; Not clear as I read this. Are you saying when you add 25% old media to a new tank, that you then wait a week before adding any fish? While the bb may not die out completly in a week, it would seem that without some source of ammonia to feed on the bb would be much reduced or in a dormant state. It would also seem that some delay would occur before enough bb reproduced to be able to handle the ammonia produced by the fish?

A way to keep a bb population active without fish is to add pure ammonia or adding things like fish food or bits of shrimp. The fish food or shrimp will produce decay products the bb can use. I like to have populations of fresh water snails in my tanks and will throw a number of them in a new setup right away. The snails will produce waste byproducts and should also have some bb on their surfaces.

My take is that the OP will have an established tank and the new setup going at the same time. This should allow for the quick transfer of both fish and bb loaded surfaces whenever the new tank is ready.

Reactions: kelz
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store