Time to rescape the 125 discus

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Hey everyone. We are getting ready to move the 125 discus tank to another room in the next couple of months and so I'm trying to decide on what I want to do rescape wise.

I've become a little unhappy with the way the tank is currently set up. Since the discus are growing, I almost think the big driftwood is taking up too much room. The big piece on the far right is only holding on by a little piece of wood connecting it to the front. I had thought of just sawing that part off and only having the arch in front.

I also thought of taking the whole thing out. Problem with that is ill feel bad since I really wanted it and my wife got it for me for Christmas, but she's okay with the idea.

And then I had a "less is more" idea and go back to what I originally had in the tank when I first set it up. Piece of spiderwood in the middle, and 2 smaller pieces with some Amazon sword/java fern only.

So I have 2 pictures attached. First is the tank as it currently sits, and the 2nd is my original design.

Any thoughts and opinions are welcome!

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I'd move big driftwood as close the the right glass as possible and still be able to clean the glass. Looks like there is a y on the back right side of the wood, maybe a couple jungle Vals there to grow up through the gap and spread across the surface. For the left I'd do something short like pigmy crypts, dwarf sag or blues japonica.

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
I would keep the big driftwood, but maybe turn it so the flat portion is on the bottom instead of having it setting at an angle propped up by the long piece at the other end of the driftwood. This would give you feeling of more space but still use the wood.

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
This is just about the only way it will fit as one piece in the tank. It's touching the back, and if I move it any, will be touching the front. It was almost too wide to fit to begin with.

Hence me wanting to cut the large right back oval part off and just use the arch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store