Reactions: koltsixx

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hey man. Those fish are amazing.
Could i just know what that spotted cat on post 59 and is that black fish at post 101 an african arowana.

In regards to the cowardly knife i had a smaller african knife in my 70 that hid most of the day. I got a second knife a few days later and the resident tried to kill the newcomer initially with the new guy being passive. Now they are best buds and cruise the tank some times during the day with just an occasional nip of sorts but nothing serious.

Also can any of those cats be kept in a 48 x 18 x 18 tank?

Lastly i saw you like batmanunnamed.gif

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Awesome thread.. takes some skill and interest to keep that many different sps..
Thanks bro, though it hardly takes skill to just go gaga over every fish you see and buy them before you've even considered the ramifications. Still it was a learning process and I don't think I'd change a thing. I did get to keep and observe some great fish and really learn to appreciate them.

Hendre Hendre thanks! Don't know what to make or say about that Batman gif, but I am a Dark Knight fan so I guess thanks again?!? lol As for your questions yep the fish in post 101 is indeed a African Aro. I believe he was 12-14 inches at he time. I couldn't tell which spotted cat you meant so I'm just gonna post both pics and tell you what they are. The first is a baby Megalodoras Uranoscopus

and the other is Liosomodoras Oncinus

The Megalodoras can't be kept in a 75 long term as they get to around 27 inches but they do seem to grow slow so you could possibly keep one if you had someone who could eventually give it a permanent home. The Liosomodoras can though as they max out at around 10 inches. They are fairly peaceful, only becoming aggressive when defending their hide. The hide should be fairly tight fitting for them to feel secure as they spend much of their time in the day hiding. At night they become active as they patrol the tank for food so also need ample swimming space. And although I personally never experienced it they do have fairly large mouths and have been said to take down fairly large fish as prey during their nightly patrol. So be careful about the size of their tankmates.

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You did have batman from murmaider so i thought you may like it:p

I was looking at the lio cat but i have a featherfin with similar habits and he is a trading piece as soon as he hits 5" as i dont want nocturnal cats so much. Another issue with a lio is my knives chop and change hiding spots and are quite passive and the pink tail rarely lets food past, day or night.

Thanks

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Also have your trachy cats bred? I saw you said they engaged in 'clasping' but nothing came of it. I read that females keep sperm inside to fertilise the eggs internally. Have you tried moving the female to a seperate tank and conditioning well to try and trigger spawning?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
You did have batman from murmaider so i thought you may like it:p

I was looking at the lio cat but i have a featherfin with similar habits and he is a trading piece as soon as he hits 5" as i dont want nocturnal cats so much. Another issue with a lio is my knives chop and change hiding spots and are quite passive and the pink tail rarely lets food past, day or night.

Thanks
Unfortunately most cats are nocturnal and hide during the day and those that don't tend to be large and predatory. Featherfins are usually one of the more outgoing cats so finding a more outgoing cat that stays relatively small doesn't leave to many choices among what's readily available. My best suggestion for a cat for your tank would be Pimelodus Ornatus. They max out at 11 inches can usually be coaxed out and may even learn to handfeed. Here's some links for you.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=428
http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=135
http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=411

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
They look really nice but i would rather take it on when i have a larger tank and more money to throw into lots of frozen foods. For now i am keeping the featherfin and getting some swordtails for activity if i can get some bigger than 2" or a school of african 3 stripe catfish. i dont like the idea of a 9"+ fish in a 48" tank, no space to move about quickly. thanks for the help.

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
I've seen other way worse examples of what you humbly describe.. you have skill to make everything look like that.. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store