Need a filter idea for a 3x3 area?

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
I'm putting a 8x2x2 tank into my basement. behind the wall is my bathroom, so easy access to water as well as overflow :).
I'm hoping I can work my filtration into the closet, which is roughly 3x3 area. height is not an issue. aside from being bellow the head of the tank.
Most filter Ideas I've seen involve two barrels. which is two big.
I'd really like to use the fluidized bed filter option.
I may be able to source a smaller barrel, than maybe suspend that over a larger barrel cut down for the reservoir?

Thoughts? I've yet to find a guide or pics on here that will help me out.
I'm pretty handy, and can likely figure it out anyway, but pics always help the thought process :)

Thanks in advance!

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Sounds like a tall trickle tower would be in order, how high is the top of the tank

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
Undetermined as of yet,
It will use stand pipes, but in theory I could plumb over and back up to bellow the tanks water level and it should still work, although I'm concerned about flow at that point.
I was thinking a wet/dry tall tower,
Hoping the top of the tank will be 4.5-5 feet off the ground.

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
Something a little like this

If you wanted some form of mech filtration you could add a sock or 2 down in the pump tank.

image.jpeg

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
That's fine. Doesn't matter where tank is. The pump tank only needs to be say 12-18in of water. So bottom of k1 barrel could be at 2ft. And your tank has an overflow no? So the water would draining from tank would be nearly 5ft off the ground. Run to the bottom of the barrel. Barrel would overflow to pump tank. Which you would have your return pump in. Bumper water back up to your returns.

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
That's fine. Doesn't matter where tank is. The pump tank only needs to be say 12-18in of water. So bottom of k1 barrel could be at 2ft. And your tank has an overflow no? So the water would draining from tank would be nearly 5ft off the ground. Run to the bottom of the barrel. Barrel would overflow to pump tank. Which you would have your return pump in. Bumper water back up to your returns.
I never thought of this, I had planned to pour the water into the barrel, but in fact it could enter at the bottom, to a full height barrel into the k1, than overflow into a smaller sump barrel, with the pump and it's own overflow to the drain for the drop system. Hmmm

Reactions: MHcblues119

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
I never thought of this, I had planned to pour the water into the barrel, but in fact it could enter at the bottom, to a full height barrel into the k1, than overflow into a smaller sump barrel, with the pump and it's own overflow to the drain for the drop system. Hmmm
Exactly:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store