Stunted growth

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I have had this particular Midas for over a year that's 4" big and sexed and vented it being a male. I had him since an egg and kept one other one as well. She's a female and 8" maybe bigger.

He's aggressive and isn't the lowest in the pecking order.

Hes barely growing while his sister is exploding in size. Here's the size difference.

200 gallon tank and he picks on some of the other fish but not attacking just chasing them from his area.

The picture was taken April of last year of he creamsickle and he's 1.5" bigger to current date.

The female is still growing fast and it's 100% female she lays eggs

Why does this happen? I get it if it was pecking order and he's less dominant. He was ahead of the chain and used to fight a lot with the other Midas and win. I just have two I kept mainly kept this guy because my wife thinks it's a girl with lipstick lol

image.png

image.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have had this particular Midas for over a year that's 4" big and sexed and vented it being a male. I had him since an egg and kept one other one as well. She's a female and 8" maybe bigger.

He's aggressive and isn't the lowest in the pecking order.

Hes barely growing while his sister is exploding in size. Here's the size difference.

200 gallon tank and he picks on some of the other fish but not attacking just chasing them from his area.

The picture was taken April of last year of he creamsickle and he's 1.5" bigger to current date.

The female is still growing fast and it's 100% female she lays eggs

Why does this happen? I get it if it was pecking order and he's less dominant. He was ahead of the chain and used to fight a lot with the other Midas and win. I just have two I kept mainly kept this guy because my wife thinks it's a girl with lipstick lol

View attachment 1194689

View attachment 1194690

Its not uncommon for some fry from spawns to either grow slow or remain smaller.

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Manlets, there is a new word, PC word for runt?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I have a pair of Regani (not breeding, just 2 regani) over a year old, about 2-3 inches. They did literally nothing growth wise in a 125 for over a year. I put them in a 540, with much larger fish, and I think they are visibly growing. I'm wondering if this will continue.

So, why are some runts? Don't know. But.....why would some remain runts in a 125 for a year, and then decide to grow visibly in a tank with much larger fish and more competition? Tank size couldn't matter that much.

So, move your Midas to a larger tank, and see if it helps. If it does.......I guess tank size is everything?

aztsm

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Arizona
I have some texas that were born at least a year and a half ago. I only kept 6 of them, 3 of them are still under 2"!! and the other 3 are around the 3-4" mark. I think they are all undersized but the smaller of the 3 are insanely small for their age. Quality foods and weekly water changes in 100g tank with other similar sized chiclids

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I have a pair of Regani (not breeding, just 2 regani) over a year old, about 2-3 inches. They did literally nothing growth wise in a 125 for over a year. I put them in a 540, with much larger fish, and I think they are visibly growing. I'm wondering if this will continue.

So, why are some runts? Don't know. But.....why would some remain runts in a 125 for a year, and then decide to grow visibly in a tank with much larger fish and more competition? Tank size couldn't matter that much.

So, move your Midas to a larger tank, and see if it helps. If it does.......I guess tank size is everything?
It's a 200 gallon and lightly stocked. I have a flowerhorn who was only 2" bigger than him at 13-14" now and a beast. I think hes just a runt like many said. Every fish I have even a damn vieva at 1" is bigger than him in a few months lol

Hes very slow grower but I want him to get to at least 12" by next year. He should've hit that by now and is 1/3. I have a breeding project and now I might not even use him because I don't want his slow growing genes lol

outsider1911

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2016
CANADA
I have an acarichthys heckelii that is stunted as well. She has similar red lips, but it's from the nostrils to the upper lip. She is about 4 inches and i have had it for a year with no growth. While the 2 inch heckelii i bought 4 months after her are now quite a bit larger than her. She eats just as much as the rest if not more and doesn't grow the slightest.

Reactions: Ihsnshaik
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store