Biggest H. Curupira

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Hello,

i would like to know how big the biggest Curupira was who got either caught or lived in a tank.

Ever since i got this pic, which i identify as an curupira and other people here also told me it is more likely curupira than aimara, i am quite shure that curupira gets bigger than H. Malabaricus.

Now the fish in this pic does also look at least the same size than H. Lacerdae, i would guess 60cm in lenght and around 8kg, so maybe Curupira would be the second biggest species of Hoplias after the "undisputed" aimara :)

Greetings

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Hello,

i would like to know how big the biggest Curupira was who got either caught or lived in a tank.

Ever since i got this pic, which i identify as an curupira and other people here also told me it is more likely curupira than aimara, i am quite shure that curupira gets bigger than H. Malabaricus.

Now the fish in this pic does also look at least the same size than H. Lacerdae, i would guess 60cm in lenght and around 8kg, so maybe Curupira would be the second biggest species of Hoplias after the "undisputed" aimara :)

Greetings
This picture was brought up last year I believe, we couldn't ID for sure by the pics but we leaned towards curupira as well I remember. It's been said that curupira gets to 30" while malabaricus only gets to 24". There have been reports of lacerdae up to 36" which would leave the curupira in third. Aimara being first and lac being second. But I've also read of reports of malas larger than 24" in the wild. Really can't conclude anything without positive ID of species, accurate measurements and pictures with documentation. Otherwise max size for all of them is speculation.

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Yeah it's interesting how little we know about the max sizes compared to let's say most piranha.

Does the gender make a difference? Sometimes i read that females tend do be a bit fuller-bodied, but this might be due to the fact thta they had been full with eggs at the time.

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Sometimes i read that females tend do be a bit fuller-bodied, but this might be due to the fact thta they had been full with eggs at the time.
I believe this is the only external difference, which is useless if you don't have two that are the opposite sex, you can have two be the same sex and still be guessing. And as you pointed out it could just be eggs. AFAIK gender doesn't make a difference in max size but it is possible as there is no info denoting the possibility. And these fish live long lives, very few keep them through that long life and keep them in the best conditions throughout it, cause we aren't perfect, we make mistakes, we may do things to stunt their potential size when keeping them that long, that's why we separate max wild size and Max captive size, to many variables that can cause a difference.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I must've missed that pic.
If this truly is a black wolf, then I'm gonna need a bigger tank!

Reactions: moe214

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Well the pic is not the best, but judging from the shape of the head, i would also go for curupira. And since there is a pile of equal-sized fish, this does not seem to be an exceptional large one ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store