240G stand build, with 6' opening

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
Good day everyone, I'm using this as a blog and for you guys to see, as well as for my own tracking to keep all the ideas bouncing around in my brain sorted.
This will hopefully help everyone as it leaves plenty of space for a big sump and easy access if you choose to do so.

My goals:
1. Built a 2'x8' stand into the corner of a room, to eventually support my 240 gallon glass tank.
2. Leave an 6' wide opening under the tank to custom build a snake display into the space.
3. leave the last 2' open as much as possible to route plumbing, electrical and controls.

How I will do this.
1. Over Build
2. glue and screw.

So onto some research,
240 gallons, plus glass etc. I'm giving myself a 3000lbs estimate for the weight to support. I hope to build for 6000lbs to ensure no failures.

I've decided to go with 2x6s for my top, I could do it with 2x4 spans, but extra redundancy makes me feel happier.
What I have found on the 2x6 is a bit rough to work with, but assuming a 24" spacing, on a 8.5' span, will carry 10lbs PSF or .83 per square inch.
6000lbs puts out 2.6LBS PSI
So putting them on the outside, with a few cross braces is out.

I'm taking some guesses here, so bare with me and correct me if I'm wrong. But this is also why I'm working on 6000lbs to be sure.
The span will only be 6' at it's greatest, so there is some fudge room there as well.
I'll also run my 2x6 at 12" OC. in theory doubling my PPSI to 1.66.
I than plan to sandwich my 2x6, using 6 in place of three, so it will be double 2x6 on 12 OC.
So another doubling of weight. giving 3.32 PPSI

I will use 1/2" ply to put on top of this, as it comes 4x8 I'll likely cut it in half and use both pieces, giving 1" thick table top for the tank to sit on.

As for the vertical supports.
I will have them at each end, as well as 2 feet in from the left side, and along the back.
2x4's placed under each 2x6, so 6 on each end, 6 2 feet in, and another 5 across the back.
Back ones are to make closing it in easier, but also add support. so the back 2x6 span won't exceed 16" again increasing the weight It can hold.

Under that I think I will lay 2x4's on their wide side to put this all on top of.

Does this make sense? anyone with a bit more structural training could confirm his would work?
I think it would work fine without e\doubling the 2x6, but I want to be extra sure :)

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I think you're overthinking this. If you have a 6' tank with plastic trim, you can just omit the center support on your stand. It will hold. Many members here have built stands that only support the corners of the tank. All the extra material is just extra cost. With the deflection rates of unsupported wood over that kind of span, 2x4s vs 2x6s isn't really going to make much of a difference, they will both bow/flex and won't provide much support.

If you are worried about support, just make the center column removable so you can still support the tank, but be able to remove it when servicing the setup.

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
It's a custom built glass tank, 8 feet wide. So no trim, but ya I think I'm over thinking it, but would rather that, then to under think it :)

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
Built it,
Need to finish the left end supports. but thus far it's very solid.
With the glass bottom, I shouldnt see any sagging at this rate.
Went with 2x6 to be safe. and for the bulky look.
tank stand.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store