Freshwater Puffer Tank Cleaning

FancyRaptor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2016
I am planning on purchasing a Miurus Puffer (Congo Puffer). I have other fish such as oscars so I know how to do general cleaning. My question is should I be worried about my puffer biting me while cleaning the tank. I really don't want bit. Will it bite me and if so how do I fix this?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I am planning on purchasing a Miurus Puffer (Congo Puffer). I have other fish such as oscars so I know how to do general cleaning. My question is should I be worried about my puffer biting me while cleaning the tank. I really don't want bit. Will it bite me and if so how do I fix this?
If it bites you, and it needs fixed; go to the hospital

Reactions: Fat Homer

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I didnt mean how do I fix my finger, I meant how to stop future bites. Sorry for the confusion
My bad idea of a joke, don't know that there's much you can do tbh; outside of maybe distracting him when you put your hands in, or wear really tough gloves

FancyRaptor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2016
My bad idea of a joke, don't know that there's much you can do tbh; outside of maybe distracting him when you put your hands in, or wear really tough gloves
Okay that's what I thought. Thanks for your input. I guess I am just going to try and not get bit and if I do, my dad is able to stitch me up.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Best advise i can give you is feed him well before cleaning, and always watch where your puffer is...

Congo's like to bury themselves in fine substrate and ambush prey, so just watch where he is, and avoid putting your fingers nearby...

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Fat homer is correct, my hairy puffer was a psycho and would attack anything that came in his tank, pipes, nets, my hands...all fair game. But a big meal and most of the crazy goes away as they will move to a burrow or under the substrate till digested... And to be honest even with these psychotic little B**tards with a full belly unless you provoke a defensive response they will try and avoid you. I have kept puffers of all sizes for years and I am bite free.... Not saying I haven't had a few close calls... But our learn fast with fish that can remove fingers lol

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ I'm in the same boat... been keeping puffers on and off for over 10 years almost, so learned very quickly to always watch where fingers were in relation to puffers business end...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store