My Wels Catfish (silurus glanis) albino

Kingrancher2011

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2014
O-H-I-O
I just ordered a Wels from wes Yesterday going to take the plunge i've been a fish keeper for over 20 years and love big fish and after seeing wednesday13 wednesday13 wels i fell in love I definitely fell in love ill be sticking my wels in my 500g for a least a couple years then by that time time for a major upgrade. Russ is a great fish keeper and a wonderful friend always help a friend in need when needed. I wonder how many of us in the States own a wels prolly just a handful of us. Its going to be a great experience and watching her grow many years to come.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Update, eating Massivore like a champ. I named it lucky because I'm lucky to have gotten the chance to have such a fish and I'm lucky I am on the forum and know of a person who imports them. If I didn't stay actively looking through wes's stock lists I may have not had the chance to have one...so that's why his/her name is lucky.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Well... Ideas are in motion to start gearing towards something like this plywood pond liner koi pond with 1/2 inch acrylic viewing Windows. 10X8x48inch approx 2,400 gallons. This would be perfect as the black backround of the liner would still allow great visibility of the fish. I could also still put gravel/boulders/wood on the bottom. I am not too experienced when it comes to this type of a thing so I would need to hire someone to help/do this for me. I have seen it be done for koi ponds. This would go in my garage. And I would have my garage leveld so the pond/tank would sit even. These pictures don't belong to me in any way. They were gotten from a koi forum off someone named Karl. I take no credit. Just using this as a base for an idea. Its either I do this or work out an acrylic tank that wouldn't be as big but still possibly adequate. Just floating ideas in my head. We will see what happens. Opinions and thoughts welcomed! What do you guys think.

DSC_0096.jpg DSC_0094.jpg DSC_0102.jpg DSC_0115.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I think that would be great

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Well... Ideas are in motion to start gearing towards something like this plywood pond liner koi pond with 1/2 inch acrylic viewing Windows. 10X8x48inch approx 2,400 gallons. This would be perfect as the black backround of the liner would still allow great visibility of the fish. I could also still put gravel/boulders/wood on the bottom. I am not too experienced when it comes to this type of a thing so I would need to hire someone to help/do this for me. I have seen it be done for koi ponds. This would go in my garage. And I would have my garage leveld so the pond/tank would sit even. These pictures don't belong to me in any way. They were gotten from a koi forum off someone named Karl. I take no credit. Just using this as a base for an idea. Its either I do this or work out an acrylic tank that wouldn't be as big but still possibly adequate. Just floating ideas in my head. We will see what happens. Opinions and thoughts welcomed! What do you guys think.

View attachment 1195249 View attachment 1195250 View attachment 1195251 View attachment 1195252

nice...ive seen/posted this build before lol, def a great example of big tanks on a budget
.. only things i dont like are the use of reg silicone, pretty lax on bracing and 1/2" acrylic for the windows, i think this build used polycarb/lexan 1/2"..big difference.... 48" height can be pretty sketchy also, thats alot of water pressure. Im an avid liner user... they have their pros and cons also... i recommend firestone brand 45 mil... ive put up 2 liner tanks with windows so far. 1 with bolts... one without... and used 2 different brand liners. the firestone has lasted 7 years so far (knock on wood) and 2nd brand was from a local pond shop off a role... only lasted 2 years before either a catfish arm went through or a fish with teeth... those are the down sides... fish with teeth/barbs/armour can/will tear through. My biggest worry with liner builds was always the window. i used hutton products "gold label aquarium sealer/silicone" for my window with no bolts and its been holdin 7 yrs.... i used 3m5200 and 4 bolts for my 2nd build as its cheaper and it held for almost 2 yrs no prob before the liner failed. would have never expected a liner to fail before a window... for the window thickness i used 3/4" acrylic for a 29" height and a pice of 1" for 36" height... for 48" height on my new tank im using 1" which is bare minium imo, it should really be 1.5" but my windows are only 4'x4' and there supported 4" all the way around.... i plan to only fill the tank to 36"...some of the windows are hidden by my frame so u can only see up to 40" anyway. i like having a bit of gap up under my lids. Search through my 650 build and 3k build for ideas. im sure i go over silicones and what not in more detail. Thers been a few other liner with window tanks that have been built since. all using 3m5200 and acrylic for the window seals.

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
I kept a silurus glanis in my pond for 3 years until it unfortunatly decided to take a bad jump in to the night and out of the pond :(

Up until then it grew from around 30 to around 40" so not really fast. The gigantic one (above 60") are normally really really old and really really rare. But it is without a doubt one of the biggest and heaviest fresh water fish (sturgeons aside of course, as they do not count as true freshwater fish and would outgrow anyone) of all. (Only pangasianodon gias will get heavier.

As for the white/yellow ones: They are quite common and do not show any signs of beeing of inferior sturdyness or otherwise handicapped. I don't like te really pale ones, but normally when they get older and stack on more fat they are turning more yellow. probably also a genetic thing, but they do not got those nasty red albino eyes so that is a big plus.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
UPDATE: 8/27/16

He/she has grown maybe 1/4-1/2 inch since I have had him/her it now eats floating hikari bio gold plus as well as occasional Massivore. The color of the fish has evened out ALOT. Its more active and the whiskers/ barbells have grown quite a bit. Still is very small....no real clue on growth rate when they are small....so I'm not sure how good he/she is growing.....but seems to be doing fine
20160827_182034.jpg 20160827_182037.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nice update. Any tankmates planned?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Nice update. Any tankmates planned?
My plan is to grow him in this 110 gallon until he is 8-10 inches then transfer to my 340 and Keep him in there till he is 24-30 inches then transfer him to a custom built plywood pond 12+foot long 8 or so foot wide 3 foot tall. Don't know if I'm going through the trouble of a viewing window or not yet. Also plan to house him with other albino/ white fish im planning a large school of albino/gold tinfoil barbs some albino pacu albino clown knife fish and also if I get around to it an albino RTC but that's far in the future. Firstly I just plan to start getting the pond built

Reactions: kno4te

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
The barbs will be lunch eventually lol, he looks good

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store