Help my jaguar.

Wisconsinbadger

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2013
Milwaukee wisconsin
Okay so I have a 220 gallon tank with 3 ac110 filters. Stock is 1 jaguar 1 umbee 1 leporinus
1 hybrid catfish. Do 40% water changes weekly.

Came home to see The Jaguar Laying on his side. Ive had a fish get ick before and not sure if he's got it. I have some medicine for it so I put it in the tank in case he's getting it. Can see small specs on his body. None of the other fish have any problems. Or what other parasite could it be?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Have you added any new fish recently? I don't see how it could be ick really if everything has been established and the tank is in a regular cycle. Is the fish breathing heavily? Moving at all or just laying down? Ick also doesn't work that fast you'd notice him scratching or not eating. If he's not moving from the one spot make sure you put some aeration over him. Check water quality, temperature and water movement. Hot summer months can make oxygen escape the tank quick. I need a better picture of the blemishes or parasites on the fish. Hopefully all goes well

Wisconsinbadger

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2013
Milwaukee wisconsin
Have you added any new fish recently? I don't see how it could be ick really if everything has been established and the tank is in a regular cycle. Is the fish breathing heavily? Moving at all or just laying down? Ick also doesn't work that fast you'd notice him scratching or not eating. If he's not moving from the one spot make sure you put some aeration over him. Check water quality, temperature and water movement. Hot summer months can make oxygen escape the tank quick. I need a better picture of the blemishes or parasites on the fish. Hopefully all goes well
Thanks for the reply. He was breathing pretty heavily before, he was swimming normal a few minutes ago but looks I think it's a lack of oxygen. One of my filters went out this morning in a storm so I wonder if only having 2 going at the moment isn't circulating enough water?

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
I'm gonna say the oxygen levels definitely had an affect on your system. Try to get them back up and the fish should recover. Like I said in the hotter months the water gets warm and there's even less oxygen for the fish so the one filter shutting off took a toll on the fish I'm sure

Chiapet29

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
long island, ny
I agree with the lack of oxygen in the tank, 220gl is a fairly big tank & needs constant water circulation, if you dont have any power heads installed I would look into getting one or two, as well as a high power canister filter, g/l hope your Jag pulls threw

Reactions: fishfanatic80

Wisconsinbadger

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2013
Milwaukee wisconsin
Water temp is 80, ammonia 0.5ppm, nitrate 5 ppm, I'm going to lower the temp a bit. He's still sluggish just sitting on the bottom. I have him quarantined in a part of the tank as he was being picked on by my umbee. Doesn't seem to be gasping at all, I'm not sure what's going on with him. Have the other filter up and running since yesterday. He's only about 3 years old.

image.jpeg

Wisconsinbadger

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2013
Milwaukee wisconsin
Water temp is 80, ammonia 0.5ppm, nitrate 5 ppm, I'm going to lower the temp a bit. He's still sluggish just sitting on the bottom. I have him quarantined in a part of the tank as he was being picked on by my umbee. Doesn't seem to be gasping at all, I'm not sure what's going on with him. Have the other filter up and running since yesterday. He's only about 3 years old.

View attachment 1194965
Could it be something in his digestion system?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store