Question on my marble with Altums

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Hey everyone,

I have a question for all those with experience mixing marbles with Angelfish.

I have a 9 inch female marble motoro. I want to change their tankmates cuz the pikes are eating all the Ray food.

I'm thinking of putting my Altum angelfish in with my female Ray. The Altums are medium size with about a half dollar body size and around 4-5 inches tall. I know my male hystrix cannot eat them because he is still a pup but was concerned my female marble can try to eat them.

The tank is a 225 tall with a 6x2 footprint.

Can I mix the Altums with the female marble? Please advise. Thank you!

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
She may try... but it depends on the ray - i have a couple 8 inch pups with my red back angels with no issues... but a hungry ray will try anything

Reactions: SandNukka15

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Than
She may try... but it depends on the ray - i have a couple 8 inch pups with my red back angels with no issues... but a hungry ray will try anything
Thanks Jay. How big are the Angels?

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
I agree with Jason on this.

Females once they reach 12" plus will easily take down an Angelfish, even a very large altum, gravid females are the worst for it, the appetite increases far more during gestation making that normally gentle female ray into a opportunist killer!!

Probably be ok in the short term for now but at some point such combos go horribly wrong, severums, Uaru or Geophagus would be better choices, even they can become victims to very large rays.....a lot does depend on the ray and how satisfied it is with its feeding regime.

Reactions: mrrobxc and SHARK13

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Thank you Aquaman. I see posts with altums and rays on here working out and then I see posts of it not working but that is usually with larger motoros....not hystrix or marbles.

Anyone keep specifically mRbles motoros or hystrix with angels that can chime in?

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I tried angels with my hystrix; ultimately failed in the end.

Reactions: mrrobxc

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
I've also tried angels it worked for a few weeks until my castexi wanted a snack. I had a nice group of geo altifrons in with my rays that worked well if you wanted to go that route

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Thanks guys. My hystrix is still a pup. My marble female is for sale. In the meantime...I'll keep a close eye.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I've also tried angels it worked for a few weeks until my castexi wanted a snack. I had a nice group of geo altifrons in with my rays that worked well if you wanted to go that route
How big is the Castexi?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store