Eheim spraybar alternative.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I used 1/2" CPVC pipe + some 90 degree fittings to make a DIY spraybar for my 2262.

To connect to the Eheim output hose (16mm or 5/8") I bought a garden hose repair fitting (female to barb) that fits on the hose > 3/4" CVPC pipe nipple > 3/4" CPVC slip x female swivel 90 >short length of 3/4" CPVC pipe > 3/4" CPVC slip elbow > 3/4" x 1/2" CPVC reducer to connect to the spray bar. (The 3/4" swivel 90, short pipe and slip elbow allows the contraption to fit over the tank trim nicely.) I really wish I had taken a picture of my DIY but I didn't because it is a very easy project and much simpler than my description above.

For what it's worth, 1/2" CPVC pipe will fit inside the output hose but will require a worm gear hose clamp to secure it.

If you're very into DIY, you could bend your own J-tube using PVC or CPVC pipe, a heat gun and sand to fill the pipe (cap the pipe ends) to avoid crimping it. I used a soup can as a form to bend to the shape I needed. I've used this method for regular PVC to make my own intake pipe for the 2262 filter.

Bichisaur

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
Maryland
I used 1/2" CPVC pipe + some 90 degree fittings to make a DIY spraybar for my 2262.

To connect to the Eheim output hose (16mm or 5/8") I bought a garden hose repair fitting (female to barb) that fits on the hose > 3/4" CVPC pipe nipple > 3/4" CPVC slip x female swivel 90 >short length of 3/4" CPVC pipe > 3/4" CPVC slip elbow > 3/4" x 1/2" CPVC reducer to connect to the spray bar. (The 3/4" swivel 90, short pipe and slip elbow allows the contraption to fit over the tank trim nicely.) I really wish I had taken a picture of my DIY but I didn't because it is a very easy project and much simpler than my description above.

For what it's worth, 1/2" CPVC pipe will fit inside the output hose but will require a worm gear hose clamp to secure it.

If you're very into DIY, you could bend your own J-tube using PVC or CPVC pipe, a heat gun and sand to fill the pipe (cap the pipe ends) to avoid crimping it. I used a soup can as a form to bend to the shape I needed. I've used this method for regular PVC to make my own intake pipe for the 2262 filter.
Thanks, im gonna try that this weekend

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Sounds good. I may have made a mistake on the 3/4" CPVC slip x female swivel 90, it may actually be a 3/4" CPVC female slip x 3/4" CPVC male pipe.

The only reason we used the CPVC instead of the PVC is because we wanted to make the spray bar using CPVC because the 1/2" CPVC is smaller in diameter and easier to hide under the plastic tank trim.

You should be able to find the right fittings at HD or Lowes though I have also bought odd fittings online since the home improvement stores don't carry a lot of them.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Another option for the spray once you're return is in the tank is to use loc-lines. You can create almost any configuration, with various output nozzles available. You also have the flexibility to point the return(s) in multiple directions.

samreu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2015
I also like the Eheim sectional pieces as you can configure it many ways - as earlier posted you can add a solid piece to lower the output or you could even have the spraybar vertical spraying against the back wall, but I do like the surface agitation myself. The advantage of the sectional is also the fact that the flow direction of each piece can easily be directed as they fit together with an oring and are easily twisted into position - try twisting the original spraybar once its connected to a piece of hose and its not fun. The kits come with 3 sections so each section can be individually targeted to flow where you would like

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store