Best canister filter?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I have a SunSun 303B, which is the second largest model. It is super quiet and cleaning is very easy. The valve works great when it's time to detach the hoses. It also has a built in UV steralizer. It can hold a ton of media.

I think a SunSun 403B, which is the largest model, would be perfect for a 75 gallon tank. It should provide enough turnover and will definitely hold plenty of media. If you decide you want more filtration than just one then you can easily buy a second one.

I definitely recommend you get the SunSun 403B.

Reactions: Kaia

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
the best canister filters are the ones you cant afford because they are usually the better ones

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
Eheim is a great brand. No one can make a better filter, heater, air pump, etc.

But can they make a quality suction cup??? NOOooo...

Kaia

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2015
NW Washington
I have a SunSun 303B, which is the second largest model. It is super quiet and cleaning is very easy. The valve works great when it's time to detach the hoses. It also has a built in UV steralizer. It can hold a ton of media.

I think a SunSun 403B, which is the largest model, would be perfect for a 75 gallon tank. It should provide enough turnover and will definitely hold plenty of media. If you decide you want more filtration than just one then you can easily buy a second one.

I definitely recommend you get the SunSun 403B.
That's the one we chose! Super happy with it! Moves a ton of water and so quiet! And cost less than the small eheim :)

Dustin0413

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2016
Rena/Filstar XP XL you can usually find them for $160 - $170 holds a lot of media and moves a lot of water, Easy enough to clean and a snap to prime.
I second that

samreu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2015
Don't get caught in the "they all do the same thing" syndrome - to an extent they do, like all cars have 4 wheels and a motor. My personal bias is towards Eheim - long, long history of proven success, especially with the classic series suggested by several posters. The 2217 would work on your 75, depending on stocking levels. 2 would be better as you could alternate cleanings, etc.
Performance is dead quiet and you can bank on no leaking - the head gasket is a LARGE diameter -oring which never breaks down - its massive and does its job without fail. The only thing you might want with a 2217 is a media bag for the bio to facilitate cleaning but it isn't a real big deal once you get the drill perfected in your own way.

EighthNotch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2016
I made a 5 foot tall PVC canister filter out of 4" PVC with an in line pump. Best filter to date. It felt like I poured 10 bags of lava rock into that thing to fill it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store