Today in the Fishroom ~ F0 Parachromis managuense

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
The last picture on the second set was on my desktop for a long time. Such an awesome picture.
Well they're all awesome but that one is my favorite.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I'm happy you've been posting as much as you have. I never get tired of seeing your pictures.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
Do you take the pictures from the outside of the tank or inside? The clarity is astonishing what camera do you have
All of the photos are from outside of the tank. The majority of the photos are taken in the tank the fish resides, but I do have a handful of special photo tanks that I use for photos. Tank sizes vary from one half gallon up to 20 gallons. I just had a half gallon tank made with Sapphire glass that I take with me in my luggage when I travel to take photos.

I have several cameras. All of them are Njkon. My workhorse is a Nikon D810 but I also have a D800, D700 and a D4. The key is the lighting. I use up to four Nikon speed lights to light the tank. All of the light give me an opportunity to select settings that assure clarity, color, contrast, etc. it also allows me to achieve that darker background effect.

I have a few questions.

Do you have a link to the article on jags and some more pics of these? Also what differentiates these from the other jag locales? (Honduras are known for the blues, nics are usually purplish, I can't remember the green locale, etc etc).

Nice pics and you have an amazing eye for detail. Jags are my favorite. I still enjoy the old jumbo pics
That article was printed in both Tropical Fish Hobbyist and Amazonas magazine. I don't have the link, but you might be able to search their on line archive. Look at Amazonas's Reef to Rainforest site. It was about breeding Managuense.

With most of the variants, the differences can be subtle...size, color, pattern. With these, there's not much from your run of the mill Managuense. The Honduran variant was unique in having a blue sheen along their spine.I wasn't on the collection trip, but apparently a group that went to the Mosquito Coast in Mexico collected a fish that had a green coloration. If memory serves, they weren't able to bring it back alive.

Thanks for the props. I strive to approach aquatic photography the same way I approach fine art photos. With an eye on composition and interest. Having an understanding of the fish behavior is a plus. Having access to the fish is also a plus.

Aquamojo

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2003
NE Pennsylvania
www.aquamojo.com
I have tons of Managuense photos. This was shot in a photo tank. It was the July cover of TFH this year.

ACA-July-Cover.jpg

These photos are very easy to get. It goes back to knowing the nature of the fish. Every time this pair breeds the fry swim in a similar fashion...and mostly around the male.

DEV_4485.jpg

This is my Gold Morph managuense...also shot in a photo tank. The fish came from a breeder in the Czech Republic. I was curious that the fish had no distinct "Aztec" pattern and asked Dr. Paul Loiselle if this was unusual. He said that this form without patern DOES appear in the wild and that local fisherman call it "el Ray de los guapotes" King of the Guapotes. It's a fish that is one in a thousand catch and considered extremely lucky to bring one in.. I have six of these in a 180 growing out.

MED_8923.jpg

_AQA2370.jpg

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
beautiful pics, best Jag pics I have seen. :)

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
Wow those gold Managuense look amazing! I would love to see more of those in the hobby. A pair for them would look awesome in a blacked out tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store